CAE test question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Ok, got my blood test results back. Baby Girl is pregnant (she's the one that's been bleeding, still nothing new with her) and Penny is not, Jodi might be, I hope not. They were CAE negative (yay), but I have a question. This was done through biotracking, so they give you the numbers. I don't really understand it though.

Ok, Penny had an 11, Jodi an 8 and Baby girl a 5. Does this mean anything? Should they be zero, or is this typical? Is it just that all goats have been exposed to cae in very very small amounts and it's only when they get too much for their immune system to handle (such as a flood of it from a CAE positive dam, or an already weak animal getting a lower exposure from a pen mate) that they get sick and the virus multiplies, thus increasing immune response and causing a positive result?

2. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Where there normal ranges listed on the report for the tests?

And which CAE test do they do?

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Ashley do a search, last month this was all explained, with info back from biotracking to another poster. vicki

4. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Laura, less than 30 is the negative range, anything over 40 is positive, 30-40 being "marginal. It is an elisa test.

5. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Yes, do a search. I posted some info they sent to me that was very helpful in understanding the "numbers". And actually the cutoff will change based on the control test...and the higher the number the better. Unless they've changed things..

6. Ashley

Ashley New Member