CAE/OPP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Are CAE and OPP the same disease only one is goats and the other sheep? I'm trying to find a good vet before I need one so I decided to do my very first blood tests through a vet and then learn from there. Anyway, I called the only livestock vet around and she sounded very nice but clueless about goats. She knows quite a bit about sheep though. I asked about CAE tests and the clinic told me that they would send off the samples to North Dakota State University and that NDSU would test for OPP. This sounded a little fishy to me but I made the appointment for now and figured I'd do some research and cancel if I had to. I also wanted to test for Johne's disease and they said that the only test they had was bovine but it would work on goats--again, is this true? Please help a newbie out!!

2. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

there are people in ND that use NDSU for CAE and as far as I know they test for CAE not OPP. Karla(Prairie Rose Nubians) in Bismarck uses NDSU, but others like Lisa (Dream Sum Nubians) only use WSU. There is also a North Dakota Goat Owners Association that you might be interested in. Vets up here really don't like goats or maybe just don't care. Sidney Montana used to have a decent goat vet, but I haven't heard about him in a few years. I have learned to read as much as I can on the forums and then TELL my vet what is going on and maybe he can help me with the info that I have found. Sometimes I get good response from the vet, sometimes they blow me off and I am on my own. If you want some names and phone numbers, I can give them to you for more info in our area. Carolyn

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Call the labs first. Or have your new vet pull blood for you and supply the name of the lab to your vet, or send the blood in yourself. Make sure the lab runs Elissa testing and not AGID.

Yes OPP is sheep, CAE is goat and HIV is human. They are auto immune disease, and in each a certain pnemonia is diagnosed with each. All mammals have their own AID.

I wouldn't want to find a vet on my own, I would want to use a referral if you can from another goat person in your area, if not, go armed with info. Make the appt. for blood draw on your doe, armed with the fee schedule and how the lab you want your blood sent to, wants the blood sent. WSU info in in goatkeeping 101 a good place for you to start when you are new. Trying to forge your own way with your own new vet, is going to put you at a loss, when they won't give you Bo-se yet it is used heavily in your area...being able to name drop gives you drugs readily you need. Vicki

4. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I would definately like to do this myself in the future so just one more question. I'm looking at the WADDL website--what forms do I fill out? I see a General Accession form but I don't see where I put what specific tests I would want. Is there another form somewhere or do you just write in what you want?

5. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I just use the general form and write in CAE & CL or whatever, I also fill out the multiple animal form with names and # as on the tubes. Use their pre-paid shipping with fed-ex and it saves a bunch. Don't send money-they will bill you-CAE test is done on Thursdays.