CAE Negative! Yippee!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I was sweating bullets about Solana because her dam tested positive a few months after I brought Solana home as a doeling. At least that was the rumor. I was worried that she too would test positive. I just got the results back about two minutes ago! Yippeeee! She's NEGATIVE!!!! I am so very happy. I had to share! :biggrin

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Did Solana nurse her dam? I hope that you will heat treat her colostrum and pasteurise her milk for her kids since she is still young, a negative test at that age with a history of CAE in the herd you purchased from, means little. Good for you for testing, and of course being excited, but just put this into perspective. Now if she continues to test negative over the next few years, than congrats :) Vicki

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks. I had plannned to follow a strict CAE prevention plan whether she was positive or negative. It's always safer that way. Her kids enutero right now are not registerable or good for anything but pets and I want her to not suffer mentally/emotionally by having her first kids pulled. So if she has a buck this time I might go ahead and let him nurse. If a doeling is born then things will be different.

-Kim

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I want her to not suffer mentally/emotionally by having her first kids pulled.

It's not her that will suffer it will be you :) Now sure let her nurse and see the kids and then take them away it is painful. But if you take them at birth she won't know what is missing, mostly she will just miss you. Putting human conditions on your goats is about you, not them. Vicki

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Really? Oh. I was going off of what some else said as well as my own wishes for her well-being. If she will be fine. Then I might pull all. I will be pulling next season when she has a scheduled breeding. :D I'll look into the options I have available first. Get the bigger picture before I make a final decision either way for sure on this one. Thank you again.

-Kim

6. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

It will be easier on her if you do pull them the first time she ever kids.
    It will be "normal" to her when the following years come around.
    With our cattle, it is quite "normal" to them for their calves to be taken and raised by us humans. That has been the experience of every mature cow in the herd and the heifers just see it as normal as well.
    If you are going to pull in the future definitely strongly considering starting off that way. Make it the norm.

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Totally agree...if she never nurses kids she will never know the difference. However, if she nurses one year...she will remember how it's supposed to go the following year and will be more upset. Even my does who have nursed kids get over hollering in a day or two, and they never get that upset.

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Wow! I never thought about it like that. I will pull them. Thank you all very much for your words of experience.

:thankyou​

-Kim

9. Belle

Belle New Member

I completely agree, if you let her keep her kids this year she will think shes supposed to have them next year too. But just something else for you to consider are her kids. Since you plan on them being pets, if they are pulled and bottle fed it will make the transition to a new home much easier on them.

10. It's heartbreakingly hard to listen to the dams cry (not to mention how hard it is on their kids) when weaning time comes... It's so much easier on both moms & kids to just *whisk* them away as soon as they are born. I deliever them, wrap them in a towel, put it behind me.. get the next kid, due the same, until all the kids are born. Then my daughter takes them all quickly to the house.... while I stay behind and let mom lick/kiss/love on me. I become her kid. Even the ff seem to act better the first time on the milk stand...because it's ME the KID, taking the milk LOL. Even long after everyone is dry and they are awaiting the next batch of kids. I have big does come up and give me *baby* kisses...
    susie

11. I agree, Hannah has kidded 2 times, both times her kids were removed. when she had her triplets last april, I took them immediately. She passed the afterbirth and was ready to get on the stand where the grain was.

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

How cute Susie! Sounds like really good advice from people that know. I will pull these kids the same as I would the others that come along. Any advice on raising kids? :crazy :lol

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

That's a loaded question...I think everyone does it differently. Small meals often work best...spend a lot of time with them and if anything goes wrong you will know right away and can start treating it asap.

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:D Mother knows best when the time comes, huh? :lol Small meals often...got it. Thanks.

-Kim