CAE colostrum testing questions ....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, i have does due 1/20, 2/18, 3/31 and 4/18 - i'd like to colostrum test them all for CAE, but i have a couple questions.

Will i be able to send in the two does due 1/20 and 2/18 at the same time ( and the 3/31 and 4/18 at the same time ) or will the doe's sample from 1/20 be too old ?

Can i freeze it ? If i can freeze it, then could i just wait and send everybody's at the same time ?

What sort of containers do i send the colostrum in ? where do i get them ? How much colostrum do i send ?

And lastly, where is the best lab to send it too and their website ?

Thanks !!!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Dr. Glass at PAVL is super nice, he also actually runs the lab:) What I do is pull everyones as they kid, put the vacutainer tubes in a coffee cup in the fridge, than on Mondays I send in everyone's. So at the most it is 7 days old. I don't freeze it. Wasn't an option when we first started doing this, don't know if its an option now.

Honestly testing is such a huge part of my herd, that saving $5 on shipping isn't worth it to me to have those two kidding so far apart in the same envelope. Trick....bubble wrap you tubes, put them into the small VCR type boxes from the post office, then put that box into the flat rate envelope. If you post office doesn't carry stuff like this order it online before kidding for free at usps.com then if you will never use it again, just set it out at your post office for them to give away. I do this before christmas and after christmas for these boxes I prefer to use for my soap. Vicki

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I sent my samples in blood collections tubes and sent it in frozen. Any leak-proof container should work.

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thanks guys ! I ordered my shipping stuff so once i get the vaccutainers i'll be ready to go :+) Thanks for letting me know i could get the shipping supplies free online Vicki - i didn't know i could do that.