CAE and Fecal results

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Sep 14, 2008.

  1. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    Well, the great news is that all the does I tested last week are NEGATIVE for CAE. I still have two left to test, but they are both our of my negative does, so I'm assuming they will also be negative once they are old enough to test.

    I also got fecal results back. The numbers were included, but I don't know what to make of them and am hoping someone can help me with the appropriate drug/drugs that I need. I did three tests, the first was on my buck. The results are off to the side, and don't really line up with the name, so I am just going to guess which ones go with which name. Atticus had a number of 950 trichostrongyloidea, and 150 Coccidia. It's hard to tell if the Coccidia number belonges to him, or the next doe down, which is a six month old girl, but the next numbers down, for Miley, six month old doeling, are 650 trichostrongyloidea and 700 coccidia. I did Miley because she has always seemed to do the poorest of my four doelings, so I am assuming that the coccidia are a problem.
    The next sample was a mixture of my big girls pellets. There were not any coccidia, but they had a number of 700 trichostrongyloidea. What are trichostrogyloidea? I had never heard of them. Do they have a common name and are they a serious threat in the numbers my goats have? Also, two of my girls should be about 25 days bred. what drug is safe and effective for them?
    Thanks so much for any info.
    Anita
     
  2. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0

  3. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    Thanks Sondra, that was a great link! So we have thin-necked intestinal worms. The book said I could use ivermectin or moxidectin, what would you suggest? (I won't worm the two pregnant does) I last used ivermectin. Is it okay to worm the buck? He still has girls to breed...hadn't heard if worming will affect his sperm motility or counts. My younger girls will not be bred for a least a month or maybe more. Is it okay to use the ivermectin or moxydectin on them?
     
  4. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    UM I just edited what I wrote. above
    but YES worm that buck I would use cydectin at the recommended dose per weight 1 cc per 22lb.
     
  5. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    on everyone except those bred need to wait until at least 50 days unless they get down or sick then to heck with worrying abt babies and save the goat.
     
  6. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    yep, always use the dosages suggested here. I looked around online, and one site suggested that numbers above 10,000 were too high. My numbers were much lower than that. Could they still be a problem at those ;ower numbers? Thinking of mostly the coccidia here. Also, my big girls didn't show any cocci in their fecal count, but my buck did, would also treating him with co-rid be the right thing to do? Have already started the young girls on it again.
    THANKS!
    Is two weeks the right time lenghth to re-do my fecals?
    Anita
     
  7. stoneyheightsfarm

    stoneyheightsfarm New Member

    1,778
    0
    0
    I'm thinking 3 weeks to re-do fecals, given the lifecycle of cocci and strongyles?? Hope so. I have my boys to do again tomorrow. (either that, or I'm late!)