Bypass protein?? Tweaking feed ration

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Nov 28, 2008.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :biggrin
    So maybe I just haven't been paying attention or maybe I'm just a ditz :crazy But I've just discovered that there is rumen digestible protein and rumen bypass protein, and that the bypass variety is better for milking stock to help with yield. I currently feed a 21% protein mix (I have no alfalfa available hence the high protein) I made up myself:
    45% lupins
    25% barley
    30% oats
    With
    0.5% salt
    1% seaweed meal
    1% dolomite
    So I'm now wondering if I should cut my lupins (rumen digestible protein) by around 10% and use cottonseed meal (bypass protein) instead?? Or should I use more? Less? I’m also hoping to swap to loose minerals instead of the licks I’ve been using, I haven’t been able to find the loose ones yet but I hopefully will be able to get some soon. I'm hoping to have all my tweaking done before I start milking again.
    Vanessa

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't want cottonseed because of the sprays they use on it here. been there and done that.
    also it isn't just protien you need and is why we use alfalfa pellets or alfalfa hay it is calcium you need and you will have calcium problems if you don't provide it some way.

3. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I don't have access to alfalfa hay or pellets, unfortunately or I'd be using them. Dolomite has calcium in it and that is why I use it, it is recommended in Pat Coleby’s natural goat care. I could use soybean or canola meal instead.
    Vanessa

4. The best cottonseed product is you want a good feed is Whole Fuzzy cottonseed. Now, trying to get them to eat it will take a little while, but most in a little time will eat it fine. Just watch the amount that you are feeding tho, since it can be a great feed just dont go over the daily limit on it. As like all other grains, it can cause the rumen to shut down. Shut down rumen if not caught fast enough....equals a dead animal.

Ken

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

In Australia, you should look into growing the lucerne tree.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/fcp/lp/lup/austsweetlupins.htm

This is one of the sites listed for information on lupin, for a study I am doing this winter...forage based plants, shrubs and trees. I wouldn't be cutting your amount of this for cottonseed meal which although has high protein and high roughage amounts is not where near the quality of product.

Do make sure with this mix that you are also using an excellent quality mineral because of the poor (only chemically fertilized) ground that these plants are grown in.

Alot of bypass protein work has been done in cattle, including the use of urea. None is done in goats, and we know that urea is toxic. Vicki

7. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Do you think a high protein lupin ration is just as good as one containing soybean meal?? The ewes just love my current feed mix, lick their containers clean :biggrin I'm going to try 10% soybean in my next ration, but depending on advice I might go back to my original mix..........
    I have found some Lucerne hay (expensive!!) and I'm going to give a biscuit of hay in a hay rack after milking am and pm and see how it goes.
    Vanessa

8. NubianSoaps.com

If you read the infomation on it, it is very much like soybeans already, without the problems that you have with soybeans that make you have to roast them. Perhaps print out the list of things in the lupin, minerals etc...and then do soybeans and see if you can see more of a difference. I am more about finding legums that contain calcium without the difficulty we have here with alfalfa. Trying to add dietary calcium to your mix with something would make your mix more bioavailable rather than depending upon a mineral like dolmite or calcium carbonate in your minerals. If you depend on minerals only, then if you have defficency in other minerals it binds the intake, which is seen much less so in dietary (green food stuffs) used as your mineral intake. Why here with our copper and selenium problems and high iron, using alfalfa is essentail to maintain the girls like I want them to be. Finding feed stuffs I can grow that contain calcium that is bioavailable to the goats is hard. Lupin as you can see in the article is much more bioavailable to single stomached animals like hogs, more so to sheep with their very sluggish metobolisims than dairy cattle or dairy goats. Vicki

9. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Thanks Vicki. I do know that in a study with dairy sheep they found that 10% soybean meal raised milk production by 10-12% but I've not seen simular evidence for lupins, which they fed also?? So you are using lucence mostly for the calcium then? I’ve never had calcium problems with the sheep, but we have had milking cows go down once or twice. We have basalt ground and we are not deficient in much except for molybdenum, which I supplement. Have you read Pat Coleby's book?? It has some interesting ideas about dolomite, copper and vit C-not that I thinks it's the goat bible or anything :)
    Vanessa

10. NubianSoaps.com

Yes I read it when it came out, Pat has been around longer than me. I don't think alot of it can be morphed for the USA, alot of her stuff has to be area speicific or something. It just shows in the end that there are as many ways to raise lifestock as there are farmers doing it. Vicki

11. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

I wouldn't trust copper to cure liver fluke, but their are some useful bits and pieces for me as I'm in Australia.
    Vanessa