Buying/selling bred doe question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by ozark_jewels, Sep 18, 2008.

1. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I knew this right up until this other person asked it...then I started second guessing myself. :sigh
    A bred doe is sold by the breeder. She has kids. The kids have the breeders herd name but the buyers tattoo sequence?? Is that right?? Sure can tell its been years since I bought bred does....

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You are correct. :)

Sara

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Aha!! Thanks! :D Another question. What if the buyer of the bred doe is not an ADGA member but still wants to register the kids with ADGA?? I know they can do that, but they won't have a tattoo sequence assigned them so.....What tattoo is used then??

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

No idea.

I would think they would have to become a member of ADGA and get a tattoo sequence assigned to them. They can't just tattoo anything they want. Memberships are not that expensive and it will save them money registering the kids if they are a member.

Just guessing though. I would call ADGA to be sure.

Sara

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I agree......but this person is odd....with a capital "O". :lol Thanks, I'll see what I can find out.

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

First I would encourage them to join ADGA. ADGA is a progressive organization that does much more than register goats. They put on a National Show, offer an appraisal program, keep records for DHIA among a myrid of other things. While not perfect, they (we) are a good organization that supports the dairy goat industry.

Kids born on the buyers place would use an assigned tattoo - so I assume they would have to apply for a tattoo number that is for their use only. However, I think ADGA is more qualified to answer this question. Why not call them?

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I just did. They said that if the buyer does not want to become a member, they need to call ADGA and they will give the buyer a number that they can use that no one else is using. It will not belong to the buyer from then on, it will just be used to identify that one goat. So, it can be done. :O

I already encouraged her to join ADGA....but thats all I can do, encourage. :?
    I asked here first for the simple reason that I am working on the computer(dial-up) and to get service on my cell phone I have to walk to the end of the lane right now. :lol We still have tower damage from the storm on Sunday and service is not good.

8. chewie

chewie New Member

i reg. only a few in my tiny herd, just sending in the last ones today in fact, and did not join. for just a few goats, it was not cost effective to join. i have been a memeber of various other groups and didn't really see any huge benefit. i won't be doing any shows other than the kids' local 4H.

they assigned me a tattoo, gave me a lettered one and a numbered one. my daughter (age 11) will use the same letters but only have a letter or number before or after the letter sequence.

9. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Maybe things have changed, but seven years ago, I was not yet a member of ADGA (my goats were all purchased from another breeder and carried her herd name and tattoo) and I bought a La Mancha doeling at a sale. When I went to register her NOA, I sent in the form using my initials as her tattoo. They accepted. I have since officially registered that as my tattoo number upon joining ADGA. Kathie

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kathie, only because it was not already in use. You can guess and use the right ear tattoo you come up with, but since papers should be filled out after tattoing, you are making a huge guess what you guess is useable.

Also Emily don't forget the bred doe must go with a service memo even though you are the owner of the buck and doe.

There is a whole section on our application of registries for use by non members...fees are higher of course. Vicki