Butchering?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Katarina, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Katarina

Katarina New Member

At what age is a buck to old to butcher?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol From August to Jan. or while in rut. I've seen some pretty large bucks butchered with *credentials* still intact! Eeewwww....I'd just have to shy away from a buck in rut, because I know I'd still taste urine in the meat. But that's just me and my queasy stomach.

Diane is the master butcher on here....see how old she'd butcher!
    Kaye

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I butchered a two year old buck in full rutt......he was yummy! I *was* very careful in my butchering. ;)

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:biggrin I'm not a goat butcher.......but have harvested, butchered, and eaten enough deer to where I can talk a little........and can tell you that a whitetail buck in full rutt stinks about as bad as it gets, and they all have there jewels in tact.
    My oldest WT buck was aged at about 7 years of age when I harvested him......he pur dee stunk, as it was December when I shot him, and he was full rut. I hung him up and gutted him....liked to have throwed up...it was bad......I said to my wife that we will never be able to eat this stinking joker for sure.......I was able to let him hang that night as it was cold......went back and skinned him out the next morning, and as soon as the hide came off, so did the stink.......I thought then that he may be so tough that a dog couldn't chew it up, but was wrong there too.
    Now mind you, the younger deer that I harvest every year are some better as far as tenderness and taste....but we eat all that old buck up without any problems too.

For those who do their own butchering.....let me suggest this to you.........if you can do this through the Winter months, then try to pick a day and a night where the temps will be around or just above freezing......being able to let the animal hang for about 12 to 24 hrs will make the meat cure out some, make skinning much easier, and also cutting the meat up is easier too.

Whim

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep I have had butcherd some old bucks but had it all ground for sausage and hamburger.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sondra is so right......best thing we ever bought for the kitchen is a meat grinder. All those poor cuts of meat get thrown into the grinder. We do everything from Taco's, spaghetti, pizza toppings, and almost anything that you would use hamburger for........it just don't make very good hamburgers unless you mix in a lot of fat.

Maybe with an older goat, I might would consider grinding the whole thing. There's just so many more ways that it can be used when in this condition.

Whim

7. Katarina

Katarina New Member

well, as it is pretty much anything that we use ground meat for it is usually at least half deer to half beef so I gues sit will be the same. Maybe when Katie enters the chili cook off that she won this past yr for a venison chili she can enter goat chili :lol

(LeeAnne being lazy and not signing in under her own ID )

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep PROMOTE THAT GOAT!! :)

9. Katarina

Katarina New Member

That is what I wanted to do! But I didn't have any in the freezer, and there was no one near me that had some. I so, wanted to win with goat meat! Only had half a dozen people ask me if that is what was making taste so good. :D Well, maybe this year! :)

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I had a year old buck butchered. We had him made into sausage with plenty of seasoning.
    Kathie

11. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Leeann in 21 years of goating I have only buried 2 old does. Unless put down for disease all goats are eaten, old does and old bucks...so my oldest buck I had butchered was Eric at 10. It's all in the butchering. Vicki

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I have never butchered an old buck, just older wethers. Have butchered young bucklings but they were not stinky yet. I would think that chili would be a good use for old buck meat especially because you can throw so many hot spices into it.

13. Melissa

Melissa New Member

hey, can somebody tell me when you grind up goat since it is soo lean, how much fat (beef or pork?) would you add to help give it flavor?

-Melissa

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

My old buddy usually mixed his deer about 20 to 30% beef fat added for his all meat....but added the pork fat for the sausage.

We add no fat to any of ours......my wife has learned how to work with this very lean meat in order to keep it from burning while cooking......She now appreciates that she don't have a pan of fat floating around after all is done. So much healthier this way too.

Whim

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep we don't have fat added to ours either. Also old tough or what you might think would be tough cooked slow like a brisket makes the best taco's and tamales. My mexican buyers would rather have a big ole buck than a young one

16. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yes, and a pressure cooker or a crock pot is a great way to use those older goats if you don't want to use burger.
    We also do not add anything to our burger/sausage......its great and lowfat! :D

17. XCricketX

XCricketX New Member

My first butchering experience was a nightmare...

Ozark Jewels was having a seminar in two days to show all of us, who could make it, how to butcher, as she had one ready.
    Then my milker decided to commit suicide... and I had just got her a few months before this happened.
    I learned the hard way to never to leave a collar on your goat... she found the smallest twig EVER in the pasture (it was fenced) and decided to twirl around and around until it choked her. :(
    She died right before we got home... so my husband and I butchered her so she would not just go to waste.
    We have had some of the meat... and it was really good, but I have a hard time (mentally) with it still and haven't had much of it. Still frozen in my freezer.
    Then, we went to Emily's the next day and watched her butcher... she made it look so easy!!!
    I was so heartbroken that day though, about my doe...

Needless to say.. nobody wears collars here now. ^_^

Cricket

18. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Oh, what a horrible first butchering, so sorry, Cricket.

We haven't butchered any goats yet but I plan to raise two wethers this year, not to hijack, but when do I castrate?

Autumn

19. Sondra

Sondra New Member

most castrate or band by 8wks I think. I don't bother with those going to the butcher but think I read (at least in cattle) they grow faster and better as wethers. This year I am not growing out any they will all be butchered young.

20. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Yea, but have you ever eaten a white tail in Summer? They taste a lot better.