Butchering Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, May 16, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Hubby butchered for the first time yesterday and he noticed that there were a lot of blood clots when bleeding it out. I wasn't around so I didn't see it but is that normal or an indication that the goat was sick? Never does this before so sorry if this seems like a silly question. I guess he shot her first and then hung her up to bleed her out.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I would think a normal process as the blood is going to start clotting as soon as the animal dies. Could be he waited a little too long to bleed her out?

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

If you are talking about the blood clotting at the point of the cut....then that would be normal......and there will be some clotting around on the inside of ribs, and a little here and there inside the body cavity (that can get air). There really should be very little blood or clots in meaty areas when all is done right.

I try to either take a heart shot or a double lung shot on deer. When I hang them up from their back feet, the blood will usually empty out their throat. Any other (bad) shot made, and then I usually cut their throat too .....and then hang upside down.
    In cold weather, I let mine hang for a few hours before skinning and quartering. But you can't hardy do that at this time of year unless you have a walk-in cooler.

Whim

4. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

--hubby speaking--- Yes they were around the rib cage. I shot her through the back of the skull as reccomended elsewhere in a posting. I immediately raised her up on the gambrels, cut the jugulars, and left her for about 15 minutes to bleed out.

The clots being on the rib cage I didn't have the opportunity to see them develop, presumably during skinning. And knowing the goat had been coughing, I was curious if the clots were normal course, or a potential problem in the rest of the herd. Having read the other posts I'm reassured. there was none in the meaty areas. Thanks for your reasurance.