butchering kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by janettemoore, Aug 4, 2008.

1. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

At what age and/or weight do you consider best for butchering? Mine are boar/dairy cross, and some are pretty good size at only 3 months.

Janette

2. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

they would taste good right now. I would say, if youre butchering yourself. Start with the biggest one as you have time get em all, Just depends on How much meat you want, and whether youre freezing it, canning it, barbequeing? Get em done before you have to feed them hay this winter.

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

60 to 90 lbs is average. I would them all by fall like Sherrie said.

Christy

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Janet I did mine this year at 6wks milk fed on mom YUMMY and no feed costs :)

5. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I agree with Sherrie. Do the biggest now and get them all done if you have freezer space. To me, they are tasty at weaning age while still nursing some. Kids surprise you on how big they are once hanging in a tree and skinned.

6. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Those are the answers I'm looking for. Drat! Wish it was a little cooler.

Janette

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Janette, I have 4 wethers to butcher...hard to do when they would cook as you butcher! So until it cools or until i feel like getting up real early, we are housing these 4 little dudes. Also, we have been under a burn ban forever so can't barbeque anyway :down

8. Bethany

Bethany New Member

question...I've got some Boer wethers that I want to butcher here pretty soon. BUT, they have been on a medicated creep feed (rumensin). How long do they need to be off of that before they head to the processor?

9. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

I was just about to post that question. I actually have the bags of creep feed, but have not put it out yet. My guys are nibbling on mom's feed, and still nursing some.

Janette

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Does it have a withdrawl time on the bag? If not, then I would assume that there isn't one.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

here is your answer if you can understand it

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

My notes say 96 hr meat withdrawal. So 4 days, 5 to be safe. ;)

13. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Okay thanks! I'm not planning on butchering them for a couple weeks so they'll have plenty of time to get off of it then.