Butchering a adult buck

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by nitrors4, Aug 6, 2008.

1. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I have a buck that I guess weighs about 175 pounds. I was told when I bought him, he was 2 years old. Since he is still intact is he any good to eat? I have heard some people do not castrate their boys when they plan on eating them, but I am not sure if this is true, nor do I know if this applies to an older male.

If he is good to eat should I do anything special to prepare him for butchering?

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Personally, I wouldn't eat an intact 2 year-old buck. :ick

But, that's just me. :)

Sara

3. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

I guess I should have also mentioned this is a Boer goat. Not sure if that really matters or not.

Yea I am worried about what he might taste like. My brother-in-law says when you kill him you must immediately remove his manhood and then all will be fine. Oh and he has to be away from the ladies so he is not in rut.

Hmmmmmm

I think Sara must spend a lot of time in front of a computer like me. :biggrin You are one fast responder.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It really is all about who butchers him. Although they smell like it :) it really doesn't go into the meat, so unless you get hair or skin oils on the meat, it is fine. I have only buried 2 adult does in 22 years, we have eaten everything that we have put down. Older than 2 and we grind them for sausage. Although I do keep the loin to chicken fry.

You might also want to just haul him up to the sale up here in Cleveland (it's little Mexico on the left side of the freeway as you come into Cleveland, where the auction barn used to be, Wednesday mornings they sell stock there) and sell him...then take the money and buy beef :) Vicki

5. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

Well I was interested in using him for stew meat. Hmmmm

He is as crazy as the night. I had to separate him from the group because he is such a freak he makes the girls run when I approach.

I just wonder if he will fetch any money at the sale.

You know that is the second time I have heard that place called Little Mexico. LOL

6. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I would try and sell him like Viki said. As for stew meat he would be very hard too chew.
    Clay

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you have ever seen photos of Juaraze or Tijuana, you could see why it's called that, not the people, the buildings. I think they are all squating permanently on that land. The auction barn closed down years ago, folks sold for years off the side street, then went into that field and then just took it over with their permanent canopy structures. Only in Texas :) Vicki