Business name/Trademark?

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by Shadow Woods Nubians, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Shadow Woods Nubians

Shadow Woods Nubians New Member

Long story: I have been selling my soap for about 6-7 months, or my husband sells it at Civil War Reenactments. The bars are just wrapped in brown paper and I don't need a business name--they are supposed to look home made. But, I've been making special batches of soap with essential oil blends and clays for us, and to give to friends, and now I'm selling to friends and acquaintances. One friend works at an upscale day spa and wants to take some to show to the owner. Well, I'd like to package them nicely and have a logo and name.
    The name I've come up with is a bit unusual and quirky, and when I googled it there were only two hits, both some obscure ancient china pattern. So it looks like my name isn't already taken. How do I protect this name if I start using it? What did you all do? My "business" is so small that it can hardly be called that.
    What did you all do starting out? I was reading on the dish about applying for a trademark--they said it took up to two years to get it approved and filling out the papers is difficult. What is there besides a trademark? I don't even know the terminology for what I want to ask.
    Elizabeth

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Buy your .com and how can you get a trademark on the name when it is already likely a trademarked china pattern? Then go to your county courthouse and get your DBA. This you take to your bank so you can cash checks made out in your business name. I don't worry about the rest of it. Just soap. Most folks are in and out of retail or goats so quickly it makes little difference...and if you take someones name they will contact you and let it be known :) Vicki

3. Shadow Woods Nubians

Shadow Woods Nubians New Member

Thanks Vicki! And I didn't explain very well, but it's not a trademarked china pattern, just something from a couple of hundred years ago that a certain china piece was called that because of a picture on it or something. Not modern times at all.

4. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

When I got my WA state business license you can list all the trade names you want..just have to pay for them, only $5 each I think. I assume they would let you know if the name was already in use in your state.

5. lynpea

lynpea New Member

My understanding is that if the products are not te same, you can use a trademarked name. Like a BB called *Happy Suds* and another that sells beer can be called the same without a trademark infringmment...make since?