Burning Scurs on 4 month old Mini-Manchas? w/ link to pics

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Arrgh!

The breeder I purchased my 3 mini-manchas from did not disbud properly, consequently all 3 have scurs growing.

I have attached pictures please verify that what I am seeing is correct ( I have added red circles around the scurs most are obvious.

First, I have never disbudded before (or burned scurs for that matter) second I just purcahsed a rinehart X50 dehorner and furall.

The goat tip will not fit around the scur.

My questions

1- Can I with the does almost 4 months old burn the scurs off, taking the goat tip off.

2- With there being no bud or cap, after carefully burning a copper colored ring, do I burn the scur?

3- What is the best way to immobilize a 30-40 lb goat? I do not yet have a milk stand as it will be at least 9 months before they are in milk. I was thinking of laying them on their side with someone carefully holding them down, while I carefully held the head.

4- Do I use furall?

I have read everyting I can about disbudding. Is there anyting else you would reccomend?

Thanks in advance . . . I pray all goes well!

shoot I could not get the pictures to post???

Please see these links for pictures

http://meadow-creek-farm.googlegrou...htWG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDROT2yoUDegYFQtzEc31rKt

http://meadow-creek-farm.googlegrou...htWG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDSvMXVDjM96ewOKA7k7z6js

http://meadow-creek-farm.googlegrou...htWG1qiJ7UbTIup-M2XPURDThnlTcpQ9uBNfWgUJYU7Hk

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Burning Scurs on 4 month old Mini-Manchas?

Get your iron cherry hot, and the goat tip is worthless for disbudding :) Take your hoof trimmers and cut off a scur, hit it immediatly with the hot iron to cauterise any bleeders and to burn it down to the head. Repeat until you have them all burned. It has to go into the head with your copper ring for it to kill the root, otherwise you are just cutting them and they will grow back. Fural is all you need, you can take out a sack of frozen peas etc...to chill the head afterward.

They may need a little banamine for pain afterwards, rarely more than one shot.

From now on really check the head as they grow. Most of my 4 month olds are off and perfect, one of my 3 month olds just left and she still has part of her cap on her head, I would be checking it daily to make sure it comes off and it is flat and perfect. Vicki

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I would also shave the head so you can see the area better and then there isnt as much smoke either. Good Luck Kathy

4. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks Vicki and Kathy: I just purchased some clippers ($7 harbor freight hope they work well enough).

What is the best way to immobilize the goats while I am burning the scurs?

Vicki, I don't know if the scurs are long enough to cut off. Should I just use the flat part of the Iron and burn the scur down to the head?

Should I burn the ring first and then burn the scur?

thanks!

5. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I reposted the links to the pictures, is anyone able to see them? What do you think. I have never had goats and therefore don't know what scurs or caps look like I would really appreciate the expertise of those who know.

6. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

I have no advice for you because I'm pretty new but yesterday we re burned one horn on my 3 1/2 month old Nubian. We layed her on her side and two of us held her down and one to burn, she hated it but was up and fine right afterwards. Poor thing had her ears tattoed yesterday to-hated that also.

7. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

JoAnn were you able to follow the links in my first post and see the pictures??

8. NubianSoaps.com

The pictures worked.

First which iron do you have? Secondly the goat tip, that stupid cone thing? It doesn't make enough of a circle, the circle it burns is too small. I have a Rhinehart 50 in which we attach a 3/4inch inside diameter bushing or copper water fitting to it, so you are burning a much larger ring aournd the horn base. Then burn inside the circle of copper you have made with the side of your iron. That should take care of everything. Vicki

9. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Yes, it looked a bit like my Nubians scur/horn on hers it was like the center of the horn was growing back--nice and pointy!

10. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Vicki I also have the rinehart x 50. Should I just take the goat tip off and use the whole iron as if I was disbudding a calf?

What is the best way to subdue the goat. LIke JoAnne said lay her on her side and disbud and burn off the scur??

thanks

11. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Some lay them down to reburn or burn or some use a stanchion to do it. I love my Rhinehartx50 I use it even on my calves.
    Kathy

12. NubianSoaps.com

For older kids I use my milkstand also. Yes take off the tip, and then in it's place put the 3/4 inch fitting. I know I had a photo up of a retrofitted 50 on the old site. Vicki

13. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Vicki or anyone, if after the scab falls off, if it is not"nice and flat" what d I do?

Thanks,

Paula

14. NubianSoaps.com

I burn it. My biggest scur problem is the very inside 'peak'. We pop off caps now on everyone, and have stopped disbudding the first week because of this. This little peak in the middle that is left, my does will use against my hand when I lead them. I cut off flat as much as I can with my hoof trimmers, and then lay my iron flat to really burn it flat. Vicki