Burn through skull??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Beverrlly, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Did I burn through her skull?? This is my first disbudding on my own--I think I screwed up and I'm terrified I killed a doeling. One spot on her head turned pink and is weeping and looks almost like a hole. I held the iron on for about 5 seconds the first burn and 5 seconds the second burn. I'd take pictures but I sprayed with fural and it just looks kind of yellow now. I can take pictures if you think it'll help. I guess my question is that if I DID burn through her skull is there any way she'll survive? She's acting fine now but I'm scared anyway. :help

2. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

You probably didn't hurt her if you did it for 5 seconds on each side. With a 200 watt iron, I count one thousand one, one thousand two and so on until one thousand ten and then up to twelve on the next one because the iron has cooled a bit. That's about 10 - 12 seconds on each horn bud.

Believe me, if you could have burnt through her skull - she would be dead, dead, dead!

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tim is right you probably didn't burn long enough if anything.

4. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

OH good....not long enough I can handle...I can always do it again if need be but I can't undo a hole in the head!