Burdizzo

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Qvrfullmidwife, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Who here uses a burdizzo? What do you like or dislike regarding the use thereof?

2. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

I do. I love that it's bloodless, immediate and quick. You can also do it at any age. I hate that it's a little hard to master and you have to be very careful to do it correctly and keep an eye on the testicles to make sure it worked. I also like that it was a one time cost--buy it once and that's it.

3. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Did you find it difficult to learn to use, Lauren? We've gone back and forth with this idea. In theory, it seems like a good choice. But with no one local who can 'tutor' us I'm not sure we want to experiment. LOL

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

The links on page one of the cutting horn buds at birth give good discription and pictures of this also

5. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

It really wasn't too hard...you just have to be careful that you are actually crushing the cord. It's very easy for the cord to slide out of the jaws and not get squished correctly. We had to re-do one side but it wasn't a big deal. I didn't have anyone to teach me either--just had pictures and online tutorials and we did it on a real small Nigie baby so I think it would be easier on full sized goats also.

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Seems to me that it should be not that hard to do or that hard to learn...

dumb question--are there different sizes or brands to be aware of? What do you recommend?

7. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

There are different sizes but even the small one seemed huge to me---I use the smallest one and I wish there was one size smaller for the minis. It's probably perfect for full sized goats. The larger ones are for full sized bulls and such so they are huge.

8. Qvrfullmidwife

9. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Here is a way to test a Burdizzo for correct adjustment. Put a thin string inside a piece of paper that is folded in half. If the Burdizzo is properly working, it will cut the string inside the paper. You are supposed to store them open and not closed. They work great if you are careful and get the cords completely crushed.

10. haeema

haeema New Member

My niece loves this to use on calves also!

11. Beverrlly

Beverrlly New Member

Never heard of storing them open---thanks!

12. goatwhisperer

goatwhisperer New Member

We use it and love it I do 2 crushes on each side about 1/4" apart for 20 secs each. we used to do it once for 10 sec but were having some we had to redo. I haven't had to redo one since I switched.
    I like to wait till they are 8 weeks so the urinary tract will develop better to help prevent stones. I have done a buck as old as 2 years. He threw all double teats his first year so he was a buck no more.
    I guess the only downside is it takes 2 people. However I have resorted to asking my daughters potential suitors to hold the little guys for me..... She says I scare them all off. LOL
    Thats my job!!!!

Tom