bummed out

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Dec 17, 2007.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I can't believe I'm going to do this, :sigh but I'm going to go ahead and dry up all the does. It's been a crazy milking schedule since May when I started that farmers market over an Hour away, and the milk bucket has shown un even milking times. out of three good milkers I'm getting 3/4 a gallon of milk a day. Now I have gone down to once a day a couple of weeks ago. but I could use a break, other people give does a whole year off un bred, so I don't think it will Hurt them. this way I can just feed them alfalfa pellets for a few weeks. Nobody is even due till the last week in feb, and I have 7 due that week.
    But I sure am Bummed about it. I always milk at least the saanens till they are 6 weeks from kidding. We have the Crappiest hay ever this year and that doesn't help and alfalfa pellets at $13 dollars a bag :help2 doesn't help. I have fed hay and pellets for the past 6 or 7 years now.

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I am drying 1 off as we speak 4 more to go . I am not to sad since its been single digits or below for a few weeks no in the early morning .

Patty

3. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:mad Mine dried themselves this year!! I couldn't get the same feed I was feeding and bought Caldwell's (for you people in Ark.) 16% dairy....well, that did it! They dropped like rocks and I had no problem drying them off. Less than 4#'s a milking ain't worth me putting the machine on them! I don't CARE how much more a better feed cost me...I'm not using Caldwell's, anymore. Searching through the dry period for a better feed...but may just go back to the PITA of mixing my own. Have a plan formulating in my demented brain. ;)
    Kaye

4. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We too had a feed bungle...and my girls really dropped. We are drying up the girls earlier than we ever have, and with less milk too. It looks we will have only 2 does milking by January 15th, unless Claire de Lune took on her first breeding and kids on January 7th (that will be by far the earliest we ever kidded before!)

I was pretty distressed about it, when I realized what had happened. My DH was very sweet about it and said, "Hey, at least no one is sick, and they all seem to be doing fine with their pregnancies!"

So made our feed adjustments, have another "lesson" under our belt, and will just have to go with the flow. I am just hoping that they all adjust to normal milking once they freshen again this spring.

So Sherrie, really understand your frustration. Hope you enjoy the time off...maybe you really needed it!

Camille

5. Melissa

Melissa New Member

hay, don't beat yourself up about it. we all need breaks every now and then (some more than others <me>) your does will be fine and might even be better for it.

-Melissa

6. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

My Clover is dropping drastically in production! About a cup less each week. <sniff> And our other doe (not bred yet) is steady at 6-7 cups a day. We are going to miss our milk, that's for sure! I don't mind milking through winter. Last year Clover (not bred) milked a good 1/2 gallon a day.

7. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

HI, Any of you heard of feeding bred does Red Raspberry to help with kidding and milk production? I read an article where a lady fed 2 tablespoons to her goats for 6 weeks prior to kidding. I haven't tried it yet.

Michele In Iowa

8. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'll be interested to hear about the raspberry thing....I just planted some bushes along with some blackberry 2 weeks ago. .....but my goats ain't touching them...they are going into a wine bottle for preservation purposes. :derr

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Hey, Whim...you better "preserve" a lot, JUST IN CASE, there's a shortage. :lol
    Kaye

10. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Well, usually all these type plants just don't do very well down here in this thick humid hot air, but my brother has found 2 types of these tamed berry's that have done very well for him......he had raspberry's as early as June, and was still getting some in Oct. .......of course I slipped over there and dug me up some side sprouts, and planted me some too. I hate the taste of most tame blackberry's cause it is very watery to me, but this variety is very tart, and taste more like our wild ones. The down side , is these variety's are very thorny, and will eat your hands up. I don't mind bleeding a little for a lot better taste though.
    Kinda like having to squeeze a little bitty ND teat to get a lot better tasting milk...... :rofl Oh, get over it already.... :crazy

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't think it helps with milk production but does do the following. Dill helps with production

Fresh raspberry leaves (Rubus idaeus) are uterine tonics and can be given before the dams are bred. Dried, stored leaves are also used. If ample amounts are available they are fed as hay in late pregnancy to tone the uterine muscles. Alternatively 1 tbsp of the leaves is put on top of the grain daily two to three weeks before kidding or lambing. A postpartum supplement consists of 1/2 tbsp of raspberry leaves daily. Blackberry and raspberry leaves (Rubus spp.), branches of Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) and Western hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) are fed during pregnancy for their vitamin C content. selenium in the diet is increased. Pregnant and lactating goats and cows are given access to fresh or wilted nettles (Urtica dioica) and fresh leaves and flowers of dandelions.

12. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Very nice info Sondra. Where do we get the leaves?
    I have black berry in my garden, and I will harvest the leaves next fall.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

would think even raspberry tea leaves would be a start. but places that sell herbs ought ot have them

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Oh my! you mean that I'm gonna get more than wine from my blackberry and raspberry plants. I just can't hardly wait until my wife gets home where I can tell her how smart I am. Maybe this time I can convince her that she made a good choice in marrying me.

15. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

geesh, and to think I might have just had a cash crop in the back field. We have almost an acre of solid wild-raspberries & black-berries in the back. Heck, I hacked out about 70 stalks just in a small area. I could practically BALE raspberry leaves! LOL!

16. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yep, watch drinking too much raspberry tea late in pregnancy, it's also used for just about any pregnant mammal to tone the uterus. Maybe a wild rasberry patch would be the perfect late preg browse for goaties?

17. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

Hmmm would herbal rasberry tea work or might that contain something that wouldn't be good for the goats? boy I am going to save and dry rasberry leaves next year.

18. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Next time you send them all to me!! :) I wants some wild berries

19. Raspberry leaves also helps with scours.

20. We had a very late spring frost... lost all the blackberries for this year. I've used up the last of the jam I made, last year.... The goats have eaten down all the berry patches in the area near the house, but most years I can beat them to the ones, way in the back of the woods.
    susie, mo ozarks