Building a pit?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by blackthorn, Oct 30, 2008.

1. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

Hi :D
    Does anyone have any experience/instructions or info about building a dairy with a pit? We're considering building a new shed and we can fit my 12 place stanchion in one end with a pit so we aren't milking flat (which sucks :nooo) but we're not sure how to build it.........seems obvious (dig a whole LOL) but how do we cement and drain it? We’re milking around 30 next year, sure would be nice to have it done by then!
    Vanessa

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sorry that I don't have prints or plans on a pit. But it would seem to me that your building site would dictate what would work best for you. If you have a hill side to work with, then I could see doing a pit style milk barn with no trouble, because you could do it much like putting a open ended basement in a house......and drainage would run to the open end.
    But if ground was level, then I would think it would be better to bring your girls up a ramp on to a long platform. In other words, elevate the girls, and keep your feet at floor level.

If you go pit style, without gravity drainage to one end of the pit, and you do a wash down after milkings......then you will be needing a sump type pump to be running in the lower end of the pit to keep the water and waste pumped out.
    Building Cost wise.....I really think that I could build elevation up just as cheap/cheaper as I could pay to have a pit dug, cemented, drained, and water proofed......and hope the sump pump don't go out.

JMO, WHIM

3. Amanda Lee

Amanda Lee Member

I think Whim is right about building up not digging down. Unless you have the money to put in a drain system at the bottom of your pit. Then the floor would need to be sloped down to the drain. Then you have to worry about the drain getting clogged and congested. This would mean cleaning out or snaking out the drain periodically. Not fun in my book!

Take a good hard look at your property. See if there might be a better location for an elevated platform setting.
    Call and talk to other dairy folk in your area weather it be dairy cows, sheep, or goats about how they are set up for drainage. I know you are asking us here but ask someone local because of your soils and ground water runoff laws.

I am sorry this doesn't answer your question because I don't have any pit plans.

Amanda Lee

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Thinking about this some more, and about your statement ...."""We're considering building a new shed and we can fit my 12 place stanchion in one end """"

The value and quality of that stanchion would have to be super nice in order for me to build a milk barn/room to just fit it.

We have a TV commercial that runs here in the states, where a lady brings a sink faucet into an architects office, and says here, design me a new home around this.
    Well it's a great commercial for the faucet company, but is really unrealistic in its concept.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my design on my room would be more important than trying to build it to where it fit my existing stand. Now if you can make it to where both worked together without leaving your top priority (the building) .....then you get the best of both worlds.

Just as a note.......A friend of mine used to run a small (100 head) cow dairy near here. He milked from a pit style milk room, with about 6 cows on each side of the pit at a time. When this guy was in the pit milking, he had to wear rubber waste high wader's (boots) ...like a duck hunter would wear. If he didn't , he would be covered with poop and water in just a few minutes.

Anyway.....glad you can build you a new setup .....wished I could do the same here.

WHIM

5. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When my friend set up for her commercial dairy, she bought an old mobile home and redid it into a milking parlor. She made it into three rooms - a small office, where she also stores some goat equipment, the milk room, which houses her bulk tank, compressor, fridge and sinks and the milk parlor which has a long, raised milk stand set up for 10 goats. The floors were redone with special paint and a gutter that runs the length of each room with a drain in each room. This setup seems to work well. Kathie

7. blackthorn

blackthorn New Member

My stand is very nice it's a cascading rapid exit delaval and we love it! Has a throughput of 150 an hour (if you do it right LOL) I'm only using 2 cups at the moment though, hopefully moving up to 4 soon. Lifting is going to be expensive-the milk stand is heavy and my metal workshop charged me $500 just to build a single place milk stand let alone something that big! I'm still not sure if we're going ahead but I figure the more knowledge the better :) I've heard of people using shipping containers for dairy's too, which would good.
    Vanessa