Bucks with Mastitis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Jun 4, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Okay, as some of you know I am working my tail off trying to save my Sr. Herdsire, the vets here are CLUELESS and I am lucky that I got him out of the office and back home alive...but, that is a story for another day. I asked about mastitis and was told "HE CAN"T HAVE MASTITIS, he doesn't have a mammary system"....WHATEVER....so, she has decided it is UC...I am just not sure...he has always had large "milky" teat...however, one is way larger than before and today I went to feel them and they are hard...should they be?? How does a buck with mastitis present??

:help

Paula

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hard swollen teats, fever, walks with his legs apart as much as he can, you could feel the glands in his groin when we had him down on the ground that they were inflammed. We could get nothing out of them and she used a bobcat cannula (I always assumed it was a cannula used for cats?) to infuse the teats with gentamycin and ? assumed it was sterile water. She IVed him antibiotics (I have not idea) then sent me home with Naxcel and Banamine (my first intro to it). I had done a good job already of keeping him hydrated so I just kept up with the IV setup subq. He was better in 12 hours, up and eating and walking.

This is very very common I owned a buck and now 10 years later own another buck that milks. Males dont' have mammary systems? Vicki

Vicki

3. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I tried to tell the vet that and I told her he has HAD milk in his teats and she said "WHAT??" and just ignored me and started trying to stick a needle in his bladder and missed and hit the rumen..3 times...she actually extracted stuff from the rumen and said" look how thick the urine is..." she then sent her tech to test it for crystals...I am sure she is not happy with her tech for coming back to the area and announcing outloud that it was not actually urine. He is sleeping now, and I honestly, don't expect him to make it through the night...I can pray at this point. I do not have Naxcel...I have Nuflor and LA200. My daughter and I decided we were bringing hom home, he was not going to die on her floor like that...he has earned better in his short time here with us. So, we dragged him and lifted all 270+lbs of him onto the trailer and brought him home. She had sedated him with something and he was throwing up cud I guess...I don't know anymore other than the fact that this day has been really bad.

Paula

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I am so sorry Paula Hope he makes it thru the night and maybe starting him on the Nuflor would help this I don't know for sure. Would think tho that infusions would have to be done also with the gentamycin and pirsue.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Paula, I'm so sorry I am so sick of dealing with vets like that myself. Maybe the nuflor would help surely if he hasn't lost too much temp and isn't shutting down, can't you infuse his teats yourself while he's sleepy? Nuflor would be good to use I think. Lactated ringer's, or IV to keep him Hydrated, a blanket and antibiotics maybe a warm compress for his "manmaries" I know Hot compress feels good on mastitis

6. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Oh Paula! I am so sorry. I will be praying for a miracle for you and your buck. Thank heavens you got him out of there when you did.

Hugs,
    Anne

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

And this is the ignorance so many of us have to deal with, with vets. I am so sorry Paula, I am praying for your guy.

Autumn

8. Terry

Terry Member

Praying here too.
    Terry

9. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

I actually had a mastectomy done on my 5yr. old. I brought him through a couple bouts of mastitis-infusions, antibiotics and banamine- and he formed a mammary tumor in one teat. YES, they actually have the glands. The only difference in a buck and doe is that the buck doesn't have the main mammary artery that runs up the side or underneath that a doe has.
    My vet had never done a masectomy on a goat...but he got on the phone to LSU and when through...he said piece of cake. We layed him down behind the clinic and went to work. He doesn't have a teat on that side but he also isn't sick with mastitis.

Find another vet before this one kills one of your goats.
    Kaye

10. CarlinsDarlin

CarlinsDarlin Guest

So sorry your buck is sick, Paula. I'll be praying for him too.
    Kathy

11. Question, would wethers also be afflicted with mastitis? I would assume a yes is the answer. Would there be a preventitive treatment? And is this a testosterone level issue? I am just curious and want info for the books. Tammy

12. Belle

Belle New Member

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, some vets are just terrible.
    Wishing the best for you and him!!!

13. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Hope your buck has a turn for the better, keep us updated.

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thank you so much to everyone for the prayers for Tamatrix...they just may be working! He is up, ate some leaves out of my hand, sorta dabbled with some hay and drank some water. The milk in his teats tested positive for Mastitis so I started him on anibiotics, continuing to push fluids and all the other standard stuff.

Thanks again and I will keep you all posted,

Paula

15. I'm really glad to hear Tamatrix is feeling a little better. May he recover soon. Tammy

16. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Paula - I got a little teary eyed when I read that he is doing better. :D Keep up the good work.

Anne

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH that sounds promising!! Maybe now that vet will believe you. Can he get you any gentamycin now?? Hope he continues to improve.

18. Belle

Belle New Member

Glad he's feeling better, I hope he makes a quick recovery!

19. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I'm pulling for your boy too! How dismaying this must be for you. I am so sorry. I'm glad he seems to be doing better, even if it's just a little. I'll be praying for him and for you.
    Anita

20. GypsyRose

GypsyRose New Member

Good luck and hope he feels better soon!

Tammi