bucks and smell

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

OK, this might be a dumb question but you learn by asking right?
    Will a small buck say like a Nigerian smell as much as a larger full size buck?
    I don't want a buck but maybe I could swing having one if he didn't stink to bad for neighborers to complain.
    Going to go watch "witless protection" :/ with my daughter now, she says Larry the Cabel Guy is her hero :sigh anyway be back later.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

The way I used to avoid the smell somewhat was buying a buck kid each summer and selling him around New Years', all my does got bred but no stinky buck year 'round. They don't usually smell too strong the first fall, some are worse than others. This year though I reserved a buck kid and for the price I paid he's going to be staying around a little longer. It's hard to tell if the buck is improving your herd if you only keep them 6 months or so though.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Beth that is what I will do when I am old :) Or perhaps I will just keep putting great bucks into farms that will then come and bring one back for me to use :) Vicki

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Jo....ND bucks stink !!!.......and they stink a longer period throughout the year, because they stay in rut longer. With ND's being year rounder's, I almost always have a doe cutting up....and "Harry" knows it when they are. He never misses the opportunity to spray himself down and smell like a fart blossom.
    I try to keep him clipped short until winter cold hits, and I think that helps some, as there just ain't as much hair to soak down.

With that said...I hardly ever smell my buck over 50 yards away from his pen. My uncle has a Nubi buck that I believe I could smell (in rut) out to 3 or 4 hundred yards if the wind was blowing right. What a stinker.

Whim

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I have never owned Nigerians, but they are about the same size as Pygmys and Pygmy bucks are the worst smelling bucks I have ever been near.

6. Leo

Leo New Member

Ugh, when I used to have pygmies and Nubians, the pygmy buck would stink worse than my Nubian, I could smell him from 1/2acre away, then if the wind blew in my direction, :nooo he was in rut 24/7, but you do get used to it. I *think* ND would be similar as they cycle year round. Oh and like whim said clipping helps with the smell.
    Megan

7. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Oh ya, I forgot about them being year rounders. Darn.
    I just don't know of anyone around me that raises goats and has a buck that I would want to leave my does with. There may be one place with a Lamanch buck that would be ok, but the closest place that has Nubian's would be Longmans to the north. With the price of gas being $4.77 a gallon here it would make it cheaper to keep a buck around that take a doe to be bred and pick her up, especially if I had to make more than one trip!
    Thanks for the reminder about the Nigerian or I may have went out and found one and been into a rude awakening!!

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Maybe you could get a buck and even keep him for 2 years and then sell him. He will smell more the second year but you could have the does bred and sell him before he was too stinky. And you are right, it is much cheaper to keep on then to have to travel. Plus lots less stress for you because you don't have to worry about getting them somewhere to get them bred.
    Theresa

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep get a buckling each year and then sell or eat him.

10. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

With only two does I would get a young one and move him on his way after bredding is over.
    And I would go for the LaMancha buck the cross with your Nubian well be worth more when it is a LaMancha cross then a Nubian on your LaMancha.
    Fran

11. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just curious why the LaMancha buck would be better than the other way around?

12. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I think the herd book is still open on LaMancha maybe some one who has LaMancha can tell us more about that.
    I do know that Purebred Nubian's sell better then American Nubian's.
    One thing I like about the LaMancha is when you get the LaMancha ears on a kid it looks like a LaMancha from the start even if it is a 50/50.
    Fran

13. I agree with Emily on the pygmys being the worst smelling buck!!! I owned one for 3 years, Boy was he a smelly boy. Now my second pygmy buckling is starting to get an odor but he's still young and not near any does yet so he's not doing all the peeing on himself quite yet. Lol.

14. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I do think what breed you like better and getting the best buck you can is the most important thing not the value in the long run.
    Fran

15. eliya

eliya New Member

It really depends on the buck. ND bucks to tend to stink as much if not WAY more thatn full sized bucks. My current MiniNubian bucks don't smell too much, but I had one MiniNubian buck that was ALWAYS stinky and stunk up a storm when he was in rut. My boys now wear much less cologne. ;)

16. teddybear

teddybear Member

I have a question about bucks and smell too. In some goat books I've read, they've mentioned burning off the scent glands on the head when dehorning, claiming it helps reduce buck smell. Does that really work? Don

17. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Nope, not one bit. All it does is give them an ugly head from the major burn. I heard that same "rumor" years ago and tried it for a couple years. Didn't deter the smell one bit...they still stunk to high heaven.
    Kaye