Buck's and breeding season

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Do your bucks not eat as well during breeding season? Renoir has not been wanting his feed for 2 days now. He is worrying me. He is always such a vigorous eater. He STINKS to high heaven and has been with 2 girls this year. All 5 of the girls have been in heat and have been teasing him around the fence line. He has grass hay free choice, sweet lix minerals, West Medicated Meat Goat Pellets and water. My feed store quit carrying the Pilgrims medicated meat goat pellets about 3 or 4 months ago. Hasn't been a problem with his appetite until now. Lamont and Renegade kept right on eating through breeding season. Didn't really slow them down at all. :whatdoyouthink

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I find that they are terrible eaters if they are worrying the fence line they don't want to take time to eat. Reason why they get skinny as rails

3. Truly

Truly New Member

Mine don't eat nearly as much when the girls are in heat.

4. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Mine don't eat either. They usually drop some weight during breeding season. You just have to try to have them in the best shape possible before and then build them back up when it is over.
    Theresa

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

They all look like crap right now. It's amazing any of mine make it through the winter as bad as they look going in. They don't eat, they hardly drink -- it's all about the girls and pacing the fence :(

Tracy

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I got spoiled with Lamont and Renegade I guess. Those boys kept their condition throughout. Renoir only has one thing on his mind and heaven forbid I have to wash his water tank out. He thinks I am easy pickins' :rofl

7. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

Yeah, you could be describing my bucks. The Nubians never drop as much weight as the Lamanchas and Boers.