bucks and bred does together?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Dec 18, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i have one buck, and 2 bred (i hope) does that aren't in milk. would there be a reason to not keep him in with them? i am trying to lighten the chores. i tried putting him in with them once, but he seems to like to run one of the girls around a bit, but maybe this would settle down once they all got used to the situation? i just want to be certain of getting them bred too

2. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

He should settle down after a day or 2, when the new wears off. If he doesn't and continues to chase or aggravate the does after several days then I'd separate them. Most of the boys settle down and are good with the does. It can also teach a young buck some manners by being in with the does. What are the does eating? Will they all 3 be eating the same thing together? Before I used to A.I. or use different bucks and I was only using 1 buck, I would put him in with the does the first of September and take him out in January. He liked being with the does. My boer buck also runs with the does like this.

3. chewie

chewie New Member

super. they are eating the very same food. his pen is tiny and i dont' like him in there. (we plan to move, and it wont' be his pen forever, but its what i have for now) the dry girls' pen is much bigger, and has one of those quonset hut/calf shelters that they would all fit into in bad weather, plus they'd stay warmer with another body heating it up.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

What are they eating. The reason I ask is you might need to make sure your buck gets ammonium chloride in his food to keep him from getting urinary calculi.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also keep my boys in with the girls. GE has had a very busy dance card, he left again today. So instead of Nic living by himself I figured I would just let him stay with the big does, NOT! Ginger the alpine was having none of that! So he gets to live with the 4 bred juniors :) It's all on the temperment on the buck usually, in my case it's that blasted Alpine!!! :) vicki

6. togg75

togg75 Guest

I could take her off your hands so she wouldn't be any more trouble...

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

:) No Mark I just like to complain about her, she is going to stay awhile :) Vicki