Bucklings- How old before using?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

He will surely be old enough this fall when I breed my three, but I just met a dairy breeder today that I mentioned him to. She said she would like to check him out and then bring some of her does to him later on. I don't know if she meant this fall "later on" or what? I suppose she would not want winter babies so am probably wondering for nothing. I got curious though. Can anyone tell me how old they should be before ANY use is made of him? I know in the begining he should not be used MUCH, but when is a good time, an okay time to start? (For future reference.) Thanks.

2. as soon as they are capable of breeding they are ready. Our 2 month old Apine bucks can already extend their p**** but are probably not fully capable of breeding. We've used guys at 4 months several times.
    Becky

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I think I have to start building a second yard...and quick. My buckling is 5 1/2 weeks old and I just heard a story about a SIX week old buck (on a hay bale :lol ) servicing a doe. AND she kidded with his kids!!!! Is that even possible? The person said it was back in 1992. Wow! That's scary.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I've been told they can be fertile at three months old, so that is the age I make sure they are separated. Of course, none of my does has started cycling until late August, so the bucklings are removed by then, or wethered. I did have a little Boer buck who snuck back in with his mom and bred two of my dairy does when he was about 4 months old. You will need a second goat pen. He should have a companion so he doesn't get lonely. I keep two bucks, but a wether would also work. Kathie

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Solana's buckling I am keeping. He will be a wether and my reserved buckling's companion. The buckling will be separated from the girls soon. Thanks Kathie. :)

-Kim

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

The youngest buck I have used was last year...he was 5 months old. But then my does don't come in heat all that early...could be he was ready to go before that. He bred 5 does for me last fall. I think if you spred them out over a couple months, they should easily be able to handle 10-15 does the first fall. That's only 1 a week or so.

7. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you Beth and everyone. My does will not be bred until Nov at least. He will be 7 months old then. I only have the three does. Glad he can do more as I have interest in others using him too.

Thanks again.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

at 8 wks they are separated here. and a Mar kid can service in the fall is how I view it. Some are slower than others at servicing an older/bigger doe.

9. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Our buck was just about 6 months old when we got him. He managed to knock up all 16 of ours in short order. We ran him with the adults and they were all bred pretty close together. We held back the younger girls, but when we let him in with them, they were all 9 bred within a month. Some didn't settle, so he took care of it the next month.

I had never done enough research to know we might have been asking too much of him. ...I guess neither had he. ;)

10. ellie

ellie New Member

Sorta on the same topic, I had a Nigerian doe kid get bred at 7 weeks. Not planned, but there you have it. She produced a single buck kid right on schedule.

Ellie

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

YICKS!!!!

12. ellie

ellie New Member

Yes, that was a lesson learned...

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

I wondered how young a doe could be before she could get bred. Wow! That is young. I better go build that extra yard...and quick! :)