Buckling w/ temp. *Temp went up.*

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Faithful Crown Nubians, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I noticed this evening that Milo was quiet. Not his usual in your face pet me and only me type of kid. He acts and looks like he doesn't feel good. I was petting both Milo and Zepher and noticed how hot Milo felt. I decided to take his temp. (Its almost 10PM here so its not really hot outside now. So the heat shouldn't affect the temp too much now I wouldn't think.)
    The first time I took Milo's temp it was 104.9. I knew that was high so I retook it about4-5 times. Each time it came back between 104.3 and 104.6 I never got another 104.9. I took Zephers for a comparison, his was normal, 102.3.

Milo is 14 weeks this Thursday. He doesn't have the runs. He ate this morning and this evening like normal. Both kids get milk morning and night still. I haven't seen him eating much hay today.

He was wormed orally with Ivermectin Injectable for cattle and swine but dont ask me when...I can not find my paper that had it wrote down. I know for a fact it was not this month. So May or June.

I checked his eye lids they were light pink.

He has been coughing today. No nasal discharge, or discharge from his eyes.

Any thoughts on what is wrong??

Thanks in advance!

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Buckling w/ temp.

Run a fecal into the vet in the morning. Does Ivermectin work in your area? Was it Ivermectin for cattle or Ivermectin for pigs...wildly different dosages for these two Ivermectins.

With a fecal you will be able to see if cocci or worms is the culprit.

So how does cocci or worms cause fever? They stress the babies system, anything opportunistic that he normally would have laughed off becomes a huge problem. In fact cocci and worms are usually the underlying problem in most goatlings, either chronic from the blood loss or diarrhea and fluid loss from them...or from the stress they cause on the immune system, then something simple like damp or hot or humid weather brings on pnemonia which they can't fight off....or tape worms fills the gut space, causes stress from the shear volume and numbers (and Ivermectin doesn't do tapes) and aggrevates the normal clostridiums found in all goats, and you have entero. Vicki

3. Re: Buckling w/ temp.

ivermectin for cattle. Others in this area use this kind of wormer.

I'll call the vet in the morning and get a fecal done.
    I decided to check him before heading to bed. His temp is 104.4.

Oh and wanted to add, he just went to a show this past weekend. Him and Zepher both were brought with the girls because I didn't have anyone who could feed them while we were gone. So they traveled with us (Saturday-Sunday).

Thanks! :)

4. NubianSoaps.com

More stress, so you likely have pnemonia coming on. Vicki

5. Re: Buckling w/ temp.

He has nasal discharge this morning. And he didn't eat like he normally does. Temp still above 104

I haven't been able to get any poo for a fecal. I hate to just grab up the fresh poo out of the pen since Zepher is in there with him. Hmm.

Should I go ahead and start him on antibiotics and worm him and give him some probiotics?
    If so can I use Penicillin? I have PLENTY of that on hand. I dont know how I ended up with two 50ml bottles but I did. Anyways, its the Pen-G Max (Procaine Penicillin G) If I can use that, can you give me the correct dosage?

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Aww poor Milo. I sure hope you get him well. He's such a cute boy.

Sheryl

7. Re: Buckling w/ temp.

I took his temp again around noon. It was still 104.4. I went ahead and gave him probios and a penicillin shot. I went by the 1-2cc per 8-25lbs for kids that I found. His temp has shot up to 106.3. I took his temp a few times came back with the same temp each time. Took Zephers which was slightly above normal but its really hot here right now, took Milos again and came back with 106.3. I put him in the barn (Away from the girls of course.) And put a fan on him, fresh water which he's been drinking.
    His nasal discharge has changed from clear this morning to cloudy now.
    Should I call the vet and get him in there or continue to treat him with Penicillin and give the Pen. enough time to get into his system and start working before taking him into the vets office?

8. NubianSoaps.com

Pennicillin isn't really good for much anymore. Can you go get some tetracycline? Better would be nuflor or naxcel/excenell from the vet and some banamine to keep the fever down.

Any 300,000 unti penn is give at 3cc per 50 pounds so if he is 25 pounds 1.5 cc is fine, give it every 12 hours until his fever breaks. But if you do not have him at 90% better with a clear nasal discharge and no advancement of symptoms by 36 hours the drug is not going to work. Vicki

9. Thanks Vicki.

Can I use Banamine paste for horses? Or do I need the banamine shot?

I have the LA200(oxytetracycline injection). Can I use that?

Should I continue the pen shots (2 more shots, 36hours) and see if there's improvement before switching antibiotics? Or should I go ahead and switch him now?

BTW- checked his temp and it was back to 104.4. He's been standing infront of the fan for the past 30minutes are so.

Thanks again! :)

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I hope he gets better, I'll be keeping an eye on ours they head to fair in this Humid Heat Friday. yuck! and they'll be there a whole week. I'm only sending him with Whethers though till he's able to Milk his own goats all the way out.

11. I hope he does also.

Just checked his temp, its 104.2. Also he's having a hard time eating (Sucking on the bottle) This morning when he didn't eat much I thought he was just having a lack of appetite with being sick so I didn't look really closely. This AM I fed him with the lambar bucket. This evening I fed him with a bottle and he was moving his mouth correctly to suck on the bottle but his tongue was not wanting to work correctly. It was weird, a few times he would have it out of his mouth at the side and then it would be in his mouth, but not where its suppose to be when he sucks on a bottle. I gave him a 20oz bottle he took most of it.

So...is this something pneumonia would cause? Or could we be dealing with something else?

We will probably not be going down to nationals tomorrow. If he's still the same or sicker we are calling the vet first thing in the morning.

12. NubianSoaps.com

I have no idea how much banamine paste to use, I just prefer to use the injectable, I don't give alot of anything orally, it simply doesn't work as well and you are guessing on dosages.

I would get some Naxcel and banamine at the vet in the morning...continue with the pennicillin.

From now on don't choose pennicillin for anything, unless you specifically have it written in your goat book...with other antibiotics for mastitis, for prevention of wound infection and after a rough delivery.

Tetracycline is just a better all around drug. 3.5cc per 100 pounds twice a day for him the first day or so then once a day..always with banamine in pnemonia. The next time you need to order it order biomycin any 200 mg tetracycline, LA200 is expensive and stings horribly when given subq.

You will be giving your penn subq also. Only your vet antibiotics will go IM. Vicki

13. Ok so Naxcel and Banamine. I will call the vet in the morning and get it.

So, to make sure I understand correctly, I give naxcel, banamine, and continue with the penicillin? How many days?
    And is the dosage 3.5cc/100lb same for naxcel? If not what is it? I did a search on here couldn't find anything. And what is the dosage for banamine?

Thanks alot! :)

Oh and also, Milo has been separated, I'm keeping him in a large crate I made, he's away from the other goats but he can still see them. He's resting quietly not throwing a fit or stressing out about it. But he's been separated for approx 4 hours and has not pooped. Unless he's went in the last 30minutes. I know with hardly any food intake it'll slow down but should I be concerned about that yet?

14. NubianSoaps.com

No, each antibiotic has it's own dosage, you really need to start yourself a book of all this.

Naxcel is a vet script...1cc per 50 pounds, IM twice a day for the first couple days then once a day for 3 more days.

Banamine 1cc per 100 pounds given once a day IM.

And no when you get the Naxcel just discontinue the penn.

Is he drinking? With a fever and not drinking he will quickly get dehydrated, see if the vet will also give you a lactated ringers setup for you to give subq right under his shoulder. Just make a big bubble of fluid the size of your hand under his skin for him to absorb the fluid. Vicki

15. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have my critter book open and am writing the drug, dosage, etc, but would like the symtom(s) used for. Please!!!
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    (a greatful to have found this forum Newbie)

16. Thanks Vicki. I am going to write these dosages down.

Yes he is drinking. He drank water this afternoon and evening.

Thanks again! I'm going to get the meds tomorrow morning and get him started on them right away. :)

17. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Has he had a Bo-se shot lately ? Sometimes when the tongue goes haywire its selinium problem. It helped mine when they did this and maybe a pinch of Baking soda in his bottle will help him tummy also with all the meds hes getting. just a thought
    Kathy

18. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Hoping Milo is better soon. I had a thought about the tongue - if he is still congested could he maybe have it in the wrong spot so he can breathe? I don't know just a guess. Poor little guy. Please keep us posted.

Anne

19. NubianSoaps.com

Is there anyway all of this is an allergic reaction to something. Is his tongue in fact swollen? Is he having problems breathing? not pnemonia symptoms? perhaps try something simple like benedryl? Vicki

20. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

One year I lost three babies to pnemonia and while I was trying to figure it out, I remember that when they first came down with it, they felt bad like Milo, (course then I didn't know to take temp), they had congestion, runny noses, and because they couldn't breath that good, they didn't or couldn't suck the bottle well, cause they couldnt breath well. that's just my 2 cents.

Sheryl