Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the earliest you have seen a buckling extend his penis? Just last night, I saw my month old mini buckling, stick his penis out and try to pee on himself!!! I am kind of in shock! What is the earliest they can be fertile? Is a fall-born kid going to mature more quickly, as in be able to breed sooner, since it is already the breeding season?

·
Registered
610 Posts
My buckling was extending and peeing everywhere at 9 weeks.
He is Mini Saanen. Earned him a stall of his own away from his
sister and mom! Not taking any chances.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I had one do the extend and pee at 2 months of age, but that's the earliest I've seen with my guys. That was a Nubian cross.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This boy was literally doing the sprinkler action on the ground (I mean where the squirt squirt squirt their urine...maybe like a cat would spray urine?)! I wouldn't mind a few of my does being bred to him (really, he should be a really nice buck), but I am a bit worried.... I hope someone buys him soon, so I don't have to castrate him, because I really really don't want to. Maybe I should bottle him and keep him for my herd...hmmmm...

·
Buck
1,335 Posts
If his dam is the best in your herd and has an Excelent udder using him would be a good way to test him out.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
Along the lines of what Ziggy said. In a commercial herd where a buck has to breed hundreds of does for meat kids or just to get the commercial dairy does bred for milk and kids sold for meat, picking for prowess like this is one thing, in raising breeding stock it is quite another. Any buck born this late in the year, doeling also, will come into heat and start being bucky much earlier than a buck or doe born earlier in the year. It has nothing at all to do with his ability to mate more than another buck. In a larger meat herd it would be about his scrotum circumference, not his ability to pull his penis out early, does he have semen, very unlikely. Vicki

·
Buck
1,335 Posts
I am acrually using a buckling of my own breeding on a good portion of my Alpine kids this year but he is an AI bringing in Hill N Holler bloodlines (known for good conformation) out of one of my best does who appraised 90 VEEE this year as a 3 year old and also milks enough that she'll probably be close to top ten this year(projected just over 4000 pounds she won't make it on volume alone but I think she has a shot at it on butterfat or protein).

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ziggy said:
..using him would be a good way to test him out.
Yes, but I don't want to end up with as many bucks as you have! LOL. I may do just that...use him on a couple does toward the end of the season. Do you think it is possible he would be fertile and ready in November? He was born Aug 11. I know that's super young, but I didn't really want to breed any does to kid past April this year, and so he wouldn't be used until next fall if I kept him, if he can't breed by the end of November.

What I'm asking, is what is the youngest a buckling can be fertile? I am pretty sure he is not fertile yet, I am just wondering when the youngest anybody has had experience with a buck impregnating their does?

·
Buck
1,335 Posts
I would prefer him to Be older but he might be able to the job. I would preg test to be sure he gets the job done and that you don't have open does.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a nubian buck try to breed the mature does at 3 weeks. I was shocked. He obviously couldnt "reach" but he had his penis out and was going through the motions! I was shocked, but seperated him to be safe and he continued to show signs of rutting. So 3 weeks is the earlies I've seen it....

·
Registered
2 Posts
When is the earliest you have seen a buckling extend his penis? Just last night, I saw my month old mini buckling, stick his penis out and try to pee on himself!!! I am kind of in shock! What is the earliest they can be fertile? Is a fall-born kid going to mature more quickly, as in be able to breed sooner, since it is already the breeding season?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts