Buckling Colostrum Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ashley, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I'm confused by this statement in 101, why do you limit the bucklings to 4 oz per feeding?

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Give buck kids 4oz of colostrum to a total of 20 ounces in a 12 hour period.
    Is what they are saying.

3. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I understand that, but why are the bucks differentiated from the does? They both get 20 oz, but why limit it to (5) 4 oz. feedings on the bucks is what I'm confused about.

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Probably because bucklings tend to be more aggressive eaters than doe kids. If you limit them you can make sure they get colustrum every few hours the first 12 hours without consuming more than their fair share.

Christy

5. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Most people wether bucks and are more concerned about taking care of their doe kids.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Unless he is one of the brain dead varieties we get now and then, most bucklings will drink the whole 20 ounce bottle of colostrum in the first setting or two. So I limit it to how much they need and not want. They also don't get moved to milk as quick, because they aren't getting more than their 20 ounce bottle of colostrum! vicki

7. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

8. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

:yeahthat

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

a saanen buckling will drink a 20 oz bottle before he's even dried off. So we put them in seperate rubbermaid totes other wise they suck each on other's ears (just until everyone's dry,) and limit their eating to 1/3 the bottle and then wait a few hours. and if I was only going to give them 20 oz, on their whim, it would be first bottle colostrum and then right on to milk, that would probably not be good for their little stomach system