Buckling battle ???

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, Sep 10, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

So my two bucklings ( about 3 weeks apart in age - 70 and 80lbs ) have always got along, play sparring here and there and playing together. Now i have my first doe in heat. The buck pen boarders the doe pen on one side, so they can see/touch the does.

Yesterday i brought my one buckling over to the does to try and get her bred ( he is half the size of this 7 yr old - but she loves him, and i backed her into a dip, so hopefully he got her-is there a way to tell ?), well the other one can see this and was interested. We attempted this breeding 3 times yesterday. Everytime i put him back in the buck pen with the other they got along still - and then ate their dinner together.

Wake up this morning and it's a bloody mess ! The bigger guy ( Cadbury ) has soft little scurs - and they got knocked on from butting so both bucklings look awful ! I know it looks a lot worse then it really is - there are no injuries - but they are bloodied up from Cadbury's tiny scurs. And they are still butting - despite breakfast being in front of them. Now my doe was in standing heat yesterday, and still is this morning - and i can tell has been flirting with them along-side the fence, as she has blood on her face and rear due to them sniffing her.

I'm new to this, and this is my first time with bucklings and two of them. Will they sort it out ? What should i watch for and what should i do ? Thanks !

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Sounds pretty normal to me as they are competeing for her affections...mine do this everytime when 1 goes into heat and they just have to work it out. Yep it really looks bad but unless they are bleeding really bad they stay together. Cause if I separate them they fight worse when the other is brought back into the buck pen. Thats what happens when there is more than 1 buck ...

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I pen my bucks together and it is not uncommon for them to fight like that during breeding season. I have never had one get seriously injured. That blood looks scary when they knock off scurs, but it has never caused my bucks problems. What is more dangerous is to pen two bucks next to each other in separate pens where they can stick their heads through the panels. My friend lost a nice buck that way.
    As long as you're breeding the boys, they will have their spats, but if they are like mine, should also get along much of the time. Kathie

4. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Ok, so no, they are not bleeding badly - just Cadbury is bleeding - and only from his scur damage - i did check Archie's head too because Cadbury has the little scurs - no damage, i figured that though as Cadbury's scurs are soft. It's not like gushing blood or even flowing just oozing i guess enough to rub it all over them both and look like a war scene. No limping or anything either. I just needed assurance i'm not being a bad goatmom by letting them work it out :+) I imagine there is a risk, but how bad is the risk that they could really hurt eachother ?

Also, you said when you take them out and put them back it starts over - well i only need Archie for breeding this doe, so i have to take him out for that. Would it help to take Archie and the doe to breed somewhere Cadbury can't see it ? Silly question i know - but he watches and makes noise even though it is like 50 feet away :+) Thanks !

5. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

yep, they normally do get along. So they should stop once one gives up or they both get too tired ? Can this affect their breeding ability at all ( if they wear themselves out ) ?

Also, an OT question about them. Being young like they are i'm wondering how is best to go about breeding them. They are both more then willing and acting like senior bucks when it comes to will and courting. How often should i breed the doe to them/let them breed ? I have two mature does to breed - one now, and one when she comes into heat for Feb./March kids. Then i will have a senior doeling to be bred in Oct./Nov. and then up to 3 more to be bred as early as Nov. depending on when they are ready. Then from another herd ( my friend with a clean herd - and i sold her her only goats ) i have a yearling to be bred as soon as she comes into heat, and a doe ( 2 yr old FF ) i sold to be bred in Oct. - Archie will have 5 of them, and Cadbury 3 of them - i may also have 1-2 more outside does ( again from another clean herd ) coming. Can they handle this ?

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

My bucks had a 3 day battle when the does started running strong heats. Seriously, for three days anytime day or night when I'd check them they were silently head to head pushing around the pasture. I don't think they ate at all and hardly touched the water. Never beat each other up, just exhausted themselves!

7. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

Along these lines, I have a two yr old buck and a 5 month old buckling. Given the size and age difference, should things be ok, or should I seperate? I tend to pen breed with the doe in the bucks' pen. The 'pen' in this case if 4 acres. Does that matter?

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I didnt mean to scare you about taking them out of the pen for breeding...I meant when 1 was out longer than normal...and they fight cause 1 comes back acting happy...they push and shove and butt but nothing that is serious like stabbing each other...thank goodness they only have scurs...4 acreas should give enough running room for the smallest to stay out of trouble as the older males can get a little dominant...well mine do...
    Kathy