Buck with temp

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Lafingkid, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

Hi, I have a 7 month old buckling that was coughing for a couple of days and then this morning he was grinding his teeth and only nibbling on his food. I just took his temp. and it was 105.3. His nose is a tiny bit wet (or rather has a tiny bit of dried snot). I can hear him breath but I can't tell if it is in his lungs or if it is through his nose. I haven't given him anything as I don't have much, and when I do a search most people have given their animals a bunch of stuff and I've no clue where to start. I can get some things from my vet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

I meant to add that he has been wormed recently, like two weeks ago.

Thanks,
    Lisa

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

sounds like he may have pnuemonia,
    banamine for fever 1cc/100lbs once a day for 3-4 days
    nuflor, or Naxcel, I think the dosage for Naxcel is 1cc/50#'s twice a day for 2 days...then 1cc/50# once a day for 3 more days.
    OH, and BoSe, heres the link to the pneumonia article
    https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,20.0.html
    Is he a home grown buckling, or did you just ship him in from somewhere not to long ago? been to any goat gatherings with him recently? a different farm a show?

4. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

We've had him since July. He was just over 3 months. The does went to a show here a couple of weeks ago and hollered (yeah Nubian) for 4 days straight even though the does weren't even in with him, he knew they were gone. Quite possible they brought it home, one is coughing but no teeth grinding or fever (I checked all three goats : )

I gave him BoSe a couple of weeks ago. I had to go buy probios and vit. b complex (fortified) and I have PenG. I'm hoping Naxel or Nuflor is an antibiotic that I can use PenG instead since that is what I have. When I called the vet he said probably resporatory infection due to the cold dry weather. Does that sound about right to you guys? I love my vet, but he is not a goat vet. I've got him to the point of at least not insisting I bring in a goat every time it sneezes : )

Thanks Sherrie,
    Lisa

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Um good, but If you have BoSe I think it wouldn't hurt him, and it would help him fight off this crud. When mine act like this and are NOT running a fever they get Vit C, and BoSe. : )
    I think PenG dosn't work for pnuemonia anymore.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I don't think that the pen G is gonna help you much.....and the problem with a small animal vet, is that he probably don't keep Nuflor or Naxel on hand. ....and you really need something now. With the weekend here, I think it would be Monday or later before you could get an order of it delivered.

So....you and the vet are gonna need to try to substitute antibiotics if possible this weekend. Maybe our substitution guru will get on here with you.

The banamine is very important too if he/she has any.

WHIM

7. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

Thanks everybody!  Luckily I got a hold of Vicki before I put the PenG in him and was able to get LA200.  It is not Naxcel, but at least it is better than the PenG.  I'm not going to be able to get the banamine until Monday, so I'm using Benadryl until then.  Not great, but better than nothing.  So tonight I gave him:  3.5 cc LA200, 3 cc Fort. vit. B (couldn't find the right amounts and I was in a hurry), 10 cc Benadryl, and 5g. probios.  He will get the shot and the probios every 12.  And as much Benadryl as I have until I can get the Banamine.

How often should I give the BoSe?

Happy Halloween everybody,
    Lisa

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You can do the bo-se weekly for awhile.

You have been home from the show for awhile now I thought. But it is pretty typical of pasturella that you bring goats home from a show who are fine and the goats at home are the ones who get ill!

Do the benedryl every 4 to 6 hours for as long as you can do the busy work. Vicki

9. Lafingkid

Lafingkid New Member

We have been home from the show 2 weeks today. He seems to be doing much better. I'm at least breathing easier.
    The kids caught him peeing on himself this morning so he is at least keeping hydrated. We haven't heard him grinding his teeth or coughing (as much).

Maybe by the time he straightens himself out with this antibiotic and the BoSe Brunette will weigh enough for me to go ahead and breed her anyway :/

Thanks again,
    Lisa

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

From a low sperm count to no sperm count, is usually what is seen after an illness. The high temp simply kills off and injures sperm in hot testicles. I would give him at least 30 days from the fever to grow no swimmers :) vicki

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

He still needs the banamine to help prevent scarring in the lungs.
    Kaye