Buck with red lines on his back legs?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kmiller, Dec 21, 2008.

1. kmiller

kmiller New Member

I look over my buck everyday when I feed him and today I was startled to see 1 red line on each back leg. It starts about 3-4'' up from his hoof and travels up his legs about 10-12''. He is lifting his legs and setting them back down. It is about 9 degrees here this morning. His appetite is good, as always. He was just wormed the beginning of the month. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Kim
    kmiller

2. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Check his hooves to see if there is any thing in there that is causing irritation. Also look for infection. If it has been awhile since his hooves were trimmed then I would trim them up.
    Theresa

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Have to agree w/Theresa here, the 1st step is to thoroughly check his hooves and between toes and heals

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Is this line on his hair or on his skin? Front or back of his legs? If it is on his hair it could be blood. Is he peeing o.k.? Hard to visualize. Do you have a picture you could show us?

5. kmiller

kmiller New Member

A little more information on my buck with the red lines on his back legs.

It looks like his hair is parted and his skin is red, maybe irritated. this line is on the front of his back legs. After closer inspection, his hoofs are fine, I did some trimming to see if there was any tenderness, infection or anything unusual. Just regular dirt. I did notice a bare spot above the hoof. I remember reading somewhere, that could be an indication of something. Then about 3 inches above the hoof there is a bare spot with a black dot in the middle, then the part, or line continues from there up about 10 inches. Like I mentioned earlier, he is friendly, eating fine and browsing. He doesn't protest when I touch this area in question. I will try to get a picture posted.

Thank you,
    Kim M.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I have no idea :) No really! No idea :)

Logically if this is on both legs it can't be rot, no way would it be so evenly rotted, or abscessed that you would be having some sort of traveling infection up both legs, now one yes. Is he getting his legs stuck in something? I know I went through a period of having does with scartched up foreudders, I then found a tree down in the woods that used to have spikes in it to climb up into it,,,,,when itching their bellies they were poking themselves with this spike. Check is pen out... vicki

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Could it be urine scald on his back legs? Is there anything wrong with the back of his front legs? How puzzling.

8. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Could he have gotten bitten by something? I know that it is not really the time of year for this but we have had some really warm days here. I would just watch it. If it shows signs of getting worse or he starts acting weird then I would be concerned. Otherwise, I would just watch. Now if there is a break in the skin you could doctor that but otherwise, I have no idea.
    Theresa

9. kmiller

kmiller New Member

Here are a couple pictures of his back legs. As you can see at the bottom of the line, there is a patch that has a black dot in it and then the line travels up his leg. It looks like the hair on his leg is parted and the skin that is exposed is bright red.

He is still eating fine and when I touched the leg he didn't seem bothered when I trimmed his hoofs.

Anyway, thanks for your input.
    Kim
    Lonedell, MO

10. shawhee

shawhee Member

Kim,
    I am not seeing the picture.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Me either. Try posting them again.
    Kaye