Buck with no horns, in with Does with horns?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by paulaswrld, Nov 24, 2008.

1. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Good morning,

This is not related to my other post....

I have some folks that would like to lease my buck for a week or two. However, the does are horned....my initial reaction was no way...I really would like to help these folks out but wil not do anything that would endanger my buck. Opinions please?

Also, I was thinking hand breeding...but that means trusting that, is what will be done?

Again, if I should just pass on this feel free to say so.

Thanks always,

Paula

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I don't lease my bucks out... for any reason.

YOU paid for the buck and his genetics, not to mention he is on your management, why would you want to give that away or jeopardize any of that... for a small price?

You will have no control over what happens and how they treat him, feed him, hand breed him or not, etc.

I would pass. If you want to offer buck service to these people, they can bring their does in heat to you.

Sara

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Me too Paula! I agree with Sara. We simply have way too much invested in our animals to have them injured by horned goats or expose them to disease. I would have to know positively that someone's management was similar to mine before even thinking of allowing them to breed to my goats.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yeah, think about it, the does NOT in heat will Wail the crap out of him with those horns, and he probably won't get a scrap to eat. and also all the reason's allready listed.

5. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Thanks so much...he will stay home.

Paula

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Yep, I only would lease out a buck to my mentor ;-)

Good decision. Let them bring the does to him.

7. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Better yet - sell them a buckling. :biggrin

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I'm in agreement too! I have had a couple different people want to borrow my buck I told them no, but they could bring their in-heat does by after testing for CAE, etc. ($3 in my area) I guess it was too much trouble because I have not heard back from them. I love my buck and would not want to see anything bad happen to him due to faulty fencing, mean does with horns, etc. plus he's worth more than the little lease payment I could get.