Buck with light pink famancha

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mamatomany, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I gave my 8 month old buck a once over and found his eye lids to be not as pink as they should be (light pink). I gave him his BOSE shot which I was late giving cuz' I just got it, and I had one doe to be bred prior to giving it. So I gave him a dose of valbazen. I assume I should follow up with an ivermectin or cydectin. No I did not fecal, the only fecal I get is yay or nay on anything including cocci. I'm in the process of finding a scope, but for now it is what it is unfortunately. He acts fine, eats a ton, normal berries, sweet guy. I gave him some probios and some red cell which he hated. Anything else I'm missing? He is in a large area all by himself about 6 feet from the girls. Thanks.

2. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Low copper levels can also be a cause of anemia.

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

He has sweetlix magnum milk for his minerals and his grain has copper in it. I know the only way to tell is by necrospy - so I hope I never know :)

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The only way to know what?

If you are referring to liver biopsies for copper levels, they can be done on live goats at many universities.

Sara

5. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

I wouldn't worry about this unless he and others in your herd stay anemic even when parasite clear. However if you continue with light famancha readings, remember the best minerals won't help if there are ways copper absorption is blocked. It's one thing that sometimes gets overlooked in chronic anemia.
    Are you in red clay soil?

6. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I certainly am in the red clay soil - up to my ears....should I follow up with ivermectin or will one dose of the valbazen do it? I think it takes 2 weeks for them to reappear so I should probably redo it. Just not sure if I should use the same product or not. Will see how his eyes look in a few weeks. I know sometimes it takes awhile for their blood to build back up so maybe more than a few weeks...I'm kinda working through this as I type. Oh well, I forgot about the liver biopsy. I can't imagine it is a copper issue, he is so young and eats his minerals up and gobbles his feed so hopefully that is not it.

7. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I'm wondering if this comment Vicki made in a post on someone's liver biopsy results may be pertinent here... I use sweetlix magnum milk also, and know it's red. With our soil, I'm thinking that perhaps I might consider a switch if I can find anything local that I like...

8. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

You are relatively close to my area, and valbazen doesn't work most of the time around here for the blood sucking worms. Last I heard from anyone I thought knew anything ivermectin wasn't working consistently either. If you had anything showing on the fecals I would go with Cydectin or other moxidectin product. I'd wait 10 days now from the time you gave Valbazen. Then (moxidectin something) at least 2x 10 days apart. That's what I would do if I were shooting in the dark on deworming and the buck is still acting as healthy as you described.
    If I have any of this info wrong I hope Sara or someone will correct me.

Red clay usually mean high iron. Iron will block copper absorption. He could be eat minerals that would otherwise be excellent and still be low in copper.
    Some things to do to reduce iron:
    Filter your water with something that will remove iron.
    Go with a low iron mineral high in copper and copper chelates.
    Stay away from molasses in feeds; also red cell won't help in an already high iron area. Go with B vits, vit. C and Bose for boosters. A B complex or fortified B shot will really perk a goat up, stimulate appetite. Red Cell doesn't do that for me.