Buck with diarrhea

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jami, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Jami

Jami New Member

My Buck has had diarrhea for a while now, I had a fecal done on him and he came back with coccidia so I treated him for that and also de-wormed him with ivromecitn orally and then I lated gave him an injection as well. It has still not gone away and I ran another fecal and it was clean. I was just wondering if it could be possible that he might have Johnes. It is perfectly heathly otherwise, he is not thin, no loss of appetite, is acts normal in every other way but the diarrhea. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Go to goatkeeping 101 and look up the anemia chart (famacha) what color do the membranes of his eyelids compare with that of the picture?

Just because you don't have eggs on fecal does not mean you do not have adult worms. Ivermectin does not treat most blood sucking worms and did you make sure the dosages of your cocci med were correct? What is his diet? Vicki

3. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

A buck with diarhhea for this long has parasites. You will lose him unless you do something very quickly. As Vicki said, compare his eyelid color with anemia chart. If he is anemic (and he most likely is) you have worms.

Use Cydectin or Levamasole orally. Repeat in 10 days. Use a syringe and give him some Pepto-bismol too. You can give him some Red-Cell (or something similar) Give him a Vit B complex shot to increase his appetite.

4. FRW

FRW New Member

Don't forget the probotics 2 to 3 times a day. Try to feed him some beet pulp or something to tighten the gut up a little. Maybe just grass hay and hold off on the alfalfa if you are giving him that.Also make sure he has minerals and sodium bicarb.
    Clean your water barrel out real good also. Fresh waster will make him drink more. Even a little Sugar water wormed up or Molasses in warm water .It will also perk him up a little.
    Hope all goes well.