Buck with cough now spreading

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by trueblessings, Aug 14, 2008.

1. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

Good Morning and Hello from Alabama,

Problem : 9 month old Nubian Buck has had a cough since we got him in January. Was taken to vet who DX Penumonia. Placed on Excenel, didn't touch it, then Baytril it improved some. Vet then wanted to do a lung wash (way expensive). We tried Bio-mysin and it cleared for about 3 weeks. Treated again with Bio and same thing. I have read your posts on cough treatments. We even done the aureomysin crumbles. No improvement. I've treated for allergies, no improvement. Treated for lungworm (as directed by Vicki's post) with no improvement.

He's in good condition except for the cough. If it was just him I don't think I'd worry to much. We have had him since January and it has not spread to others until now and goats have had personal contact with each other through the fence. One of my does came into estrus and was placed with him, now she has same sounding cough. My little buck was put in with him when doe was removed and now he is coughing.

Are there any drug combos that might work. If we can get this cleared will he be any good to me after all these meds.

And YES, We really like this buck and would like to keep him. Culling last option.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Lynn

2. wardarden

wardarden New Member

Hi Lynn,

I am VERY MUCH a rookie so take it with a grain of salt! I have treated the cough thing with Nuflor successfully but it is a RX item. I've never tried the Excenel. You may want to ask your vet about trying the Nuflor.

The goats don't eat hay from a feeder that they eat UP into do they? I've heard that when they eat hay like that the hay dust will get in their respiratory tract and give them a cough. Just wondering..

Good luck with it.
    Arden

3. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

No, they have a hay bin, they reach in to get hay.

The cough is not dry, like just clearing the throat. It sounds wet.

Thanks
    Lynn

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lynn have you used Sue Reith's pneumonia recommendations that is is Goat 101 also know that Vicki recommends Naxel also for pneumonia.
    Sue recommends Naxel /banamine/BoSe and benydryl so read that article

5. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

this sounds like it has been ongoing .... How long can goats have pneumonia, either before they get better or die?

6. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

Sondra,

I have not tried all she recommends because we just plain and simple don't have a good goat vet here.

To get these supplies without taking your animal in for exam is next to impossible.
    Without the exam the only thing I can get is Excenel.

If anyone out there knows of a good vet in North Alabama we will consider driving a ways to a GOOD GOAT VET.

This is second vet near us we have tried. And these trips are getting costly.

Thanks
    Lynn

7. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Have you wormed for lung worm ? using Ivermec+ wormer ? .... I would try this first as you have had him since January and I would think if it was pneumonia that he would already be dead . Worm him with the Ivermect+ at 1cc per 30 pounds given oraly with syrup (because Ivermect taste terrible) and repeat worming in 10 days.

Is he snotty ? Is the doe snotty ?

If cough sounds wet ,I would give him Tylan200 at 1cc/25 pounds ,IM ,1 time daily for 5 days

8. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I was under the impression that Naxcel and Excenel are the same drug, just one in powder form, one ready to use?

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

supposedly but they don't seem to work the same and Naxcel works better.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

ALABAMA

Dr. Hugh S. Palmer
    Bay Minette Animal Clinic
    1900 Hand Avenue
    Bay Minette, AL, 36507
    Ph-(334)-937-7540 or Fax-(334)-937-7553

Dr. David Pugh
    Auburn University
    Richard L. Kappen, D.V.M.
    40590 Hwy. 280
    Sylacauga, Al. 35150

Dr. Joe D. Cobb
    Colbert Animal Clinic
    930 hwy 20
    Tuscumbia, Alabama 35674
    (256-381-6210)
    Well known caprine vet for this area.

Believe before this gets out of hand and spread to all my goats I would take one of the goats in to another vet and get some help

11. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

Yes, treatment for lungworm has been done.

No snotty noses on any of the three.

Sick goats are seperate from all other goats with no personal contact.

Are Tylan and Bio-mysin not the same medicine?

Thanks Sondra for list of vets. Dr. Cobb is across state from us but he is the closiest.

Lynn

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Have you fecaled? Did you fecal for lungworm also? Young goats with cocci or worms cough, in fact they can cough so much they can prolapse their rectum. If you don't have a good local vet send fresh poop into a lab yourself for fecal floation with a chambered slide and also the Baerman for lungworm.

Or get some tramisole, Prohibit and follow the directions on goatkeeping 101. Pnemonia doesn't hang on like this it comes to a head. If antibiotics haven't touched it, it is likely not bacterial.

How about the pen they are in...maybe it and not the goat you purchased is the common denominator. Is there anything different besides the pen they are in? Hay? Moisture? Bedding? Limeing their stalls? Kneel in their stall are your knees wet when you get up? Do they have acess to standing water? Just thinking outloud. vicki

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Tylan is tylosin, biomycin is oxytetracycline....completely different drugs. I have not found tylosin to be good for much in goats...and as Vicki said it's likely something viral or parasitical, not bacterial.

I wonder why the difference in Naxcel and Excenel? Must be the carrier or something?

14. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I have a doe 2yo that had pneumonia really bad last year, she has had the couph ever since. The vet, a goat vet that I like-she has her own herd- has told me that she has "scar tissue" from the pneumonia. I have trusted that info and just assummed she would be a hacker on and off for life. What do you all think? Ever heard this before?

15. NubianSoaps.com

Yes it's actually why we would tell you to use banamine when treating pnemonia, it' stops the inflammation which in turn stops scar tissue. Same premise in an udder during mastitis.

In this case the new buckling introduced to the offender has caught this, and you don't catch scar tissue :) Teasing you. Vicki

16. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

Oh good....I am starting to realize that SOOOO much of the info that I have filed into the "Goat Care" drawer in my brain needs to be purged....it is nice to occasionally come across stuff that is acurate...LOL..

17. trueblessings

trueblessings Member

Ok,

Got Excenel and Ben, giving to all three according to amounts suggested here. (More than vet told me to give) Within 24 hours doe is sounding much better. Thought I'd try it again. Vet had me give such a small amount only once a day for 4 days.

No change in the boys :sigh

Lungworm treatments were done. Only thing I have not treated for is Cocci.

If it does not work, its off to the vet again.

Thanks
    Lynn

18. NubianSoaps.com

Oh good....I am starting to realize that SOOOO much of the info that I have filed into the "Goat Care" drawer in my brain needs to be purged....it is nice to occasionally come across stuff that is acurate...LOL..

Paula don't remember how long you have been at this, but I tell you if you learned stuff in the 80's other than some practical applications, most has nothing to do with what we now know. And even when I do think I know something, there is always something to tweak, something brand new, or one of these new young gals who confuse the snot out of you!

Nobody is worse than me about being a creature of habit, it does take some prodding but Kaye, Sara etc...have pushed me into the new way of thinking. Vicki

19. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:rofl Kicking and screaming the WHOLE way! Geez...even this old dog has learned some new tricks!
    Kaye

20. paulaswrld

paulaswrld New Member

I purchased my first two girls (because they were cute...lol) 2 years ago this past March. Pretty much the first year, everything I learned came from Storey's guide, Fiascofarm.com, and the yahoo groups (Homedairy and Nubiantalk)....now in the last year or so since adding to the herd, getting very involved in the local goat club (I am the President now of VSGBA), showing, and getting to know some awesome folks including you all I am starting to fiqure a bit of this out. I am thankful every day that my girls and boys have survived this learning curve with me.

P