Buck still after bred doeling

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BlueHeronFarm, Feb 13, 2008.

1. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I have a bred yearling who the buck will just NOT leave alone.
    She is due mid-April and is showing, so I know she's not in heat.
    Is this common? I feel so bad for her. She'll fight him off for a while and then just give in.
    It's not every day or anything - but one or two times a month.
    Should I leave him locked up when the girls are out grazing? Or just let it happen?

2. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

i would try and keep them seperate if you can. I know sometimes the bucks will get frusterated and but a doe if she doesn't cooperate. This could possibly injure the babies or cause an abortion. Plus if he is stressing her out that isn't good either...

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Well , I got a doe here that is a teaser.....will dish it out, but then can't take the rap for stirring my old buck up.
    I keep Harry away from all my bred doe's .....not because he is mean to them, I just don't want him rubbing around and stinking my girls up.
    I don't want my girls being chased around or roughed up by any other goat, male or female, while they are preggy.

Whim

4. susie

susie New Member

My buck last year also went after my pregnant does- I would seperate them if possible, as she might be injured in trying to avoid him breeding her . I know my doe was pretty upset when the buck would chase her down.

Susie

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Yeah-- I thought about separating them in case he got too rough. He lives with the big girls now - and doesn't try any of that nonsense with them. He's just a yearling, too - and they keep him in line. It is the smaller ones he harasses. The only are together when grazing.

We don't have a friend for him yet, so don't I have a "buck land" ready.

Guess I had better work on that. Sigh.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's also teaching him really bad habits. We are responsible in growing out our bucks to make them easily handled when they are older guys. Letting him think he can do things like this is going to make him uncontrolable when he is bigger. If you want to overwinter him with does, make it older does who can beat the snot out of him for behavior like this. Otherwise back to the buck pen, it's also why having only one buck isn't wise either. Bucks need to play with bucks, not wethers. Vicki

7. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Well, poo.

This morning, the doeling in question was blubbering away, looking for her boyfriend. Flagging, the whole production. I was so sure she was bred - I thought she was showing, but now am wondering if I am crazy and maybe it's just her "filling out" ??

He was getting all worked up at the fence for her, too.

I kept them apart. If she is in heat, I am not sure we want July babies.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I'll bet she is bred and it is her hormones kicking in not only will the does sometimes go to blubbering fools but the bucks also smell them as being in heat not close to freshening. I would keep them apart at this stage.

9. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

I am keeping him away from all of the yearlings now. I hope she is bred and they are both confused.
    We recently freed up a pasture we were leasing, so he'll get his own happy buck land as soon as the first big-girl doe kids.
    ...which should be Saturday at the latest.

We'll eventually get him another buck, but we are also thinking about a couple boer does for company - then having meat.