Buck shelters ????

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jan 26, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK what are other options?

We currently use a lot of hoop houses... due to finances the tarps are not the creme de la creme... we get the $30 double sided ones from Lowes or Home Depot... these do better than Walmart ones, but let's face it tarps DIE.

Shredded destroyed tarps raise my dh's blood pressure :sigh

Our 2 LM bucks both shredded and destroyed their tarps. So today they were moved into the bedrm yard (pray they do not kill each other!) and the 2 MM bucks from that yard were moved to my baby yard since it has a small shelter... NOT A MOVE I WANTED TO MAKE.

Sooooo

What are other options... preferably cheap at the moment for buck shelters? What other shelters are movable as I have not yet decided my bucks will stay where they are.... ??

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If not raining a big old shade tree will do :) We build 4 ft x 5 ft 3 sided out of wood that we had laying around have even some that are just two pieces of plywood leaned together and wired at the top to form a tp shape.

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I have made houses for my goats with wood pallets and OSB sheets...not to expensive, My feed guy gives me the pallets and the OSb runs maybe 7 or so a sheet. I take 2 pallets for the ends and then use a sheet for the top and a sheet for the back...Justa thought and they do last longer than tarps...my goats shred tarps also...

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

What abt putting some cattle panels or even wood up the sides of the hoop house a ways so they can't get to the tarp?

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

these guys would chew through the holes on the panels....

one has bent the utility panel fence pretty good... they've been know to take on trees...

they are big full size LM and they are IDIOTS...

The pallets would make the sides too low and then they'd be on top of them...

{{shake}} I know my dh wants to do tin... just no $ for that right now....

May be better to make a second small shelter for the two minis... and we have an older tarp we can use for now... for the other...

but these things are just temporary...

One of these days they'll have bigger yards... hoping that might help... do goats plot mischief while bored? Mine seem to....

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Sondra you should have seen how Dandy got stuck one day trying to get to the tarp on the far side of his shelter AGAINST the fence trying to get to a choice piece to chew....

7. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

ARRGGG my bucks do the same thing. And they seem to shred them just before the bad weather/rain is supposed to hit. they leave them alone forever, then the day before the bad weather hits, shred, shred, rip, whatever, then stand there like your leaving me here inthe cold and yucky? ARRGGGG. Bucks really try my patience sometimes. I love my boys just as much as my girls, but they do make me :crazy

I have probably spent enough in tarps the last two years to have built a descent little house.! :sigh

Sheryl

8. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I'm glad my bucks are Nigerians....dog houses work well :)

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Exactly Sheryl... and I love my bucks too Anson is a real gentleman... TO US... just not to fences, trees, tarps, etc...

10. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

We do hoop houses but one thing that we have learned is that the expensive canvas tarps are worth the $$$...we have one that held up for over three yrs with bucks, starting from when they were babies bouncing off the walls. It did cost an astounding $130 the last time I checked but worked out over three plus yrs seemed reasonable.

11. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I understand... but that is alot of $$... and I think dh is afraid they'll manage to eat that too...

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Our bucks live in shelters we built out of 2X4s and plywood. We occasionally have to replace a peice of plywood, but it lasts longer than tarps. The houses are 4X8 feet with slanted roofs. We have one for each buck, but the two boys usually bunk down together.

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lynn as a temp why not just put the tarp on the roof so pouring rain doesn't hit them and forget going down the sides.

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Calf hutches. a little more up front but they will last a long time . My guys have done well even with temps to -30 this year . I think it was about 200.00 or so.

Patty

15. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I really worry about the ventilation of the calf hutches in our 100degree summer weather with almost 100% humidity for several months.

???

16. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

The one I got has a circle cut out in the rear wall. It can be opened or closed.

17. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And when it comes right down to it, other than winter cold rainy humid shelter, come spring the boys really don't need anything. My boers never used the barn, they would go under the trees. Especially the boy, course he was never here for more than a month at a time, and was busy :)

You can also use tin over the top of your hoop houses, Kenny (my hoof trimming gal) had her bucks out in hoop houses with tin for years, and hers was always pretty. You can just punch holes throug the tin and then just sire it to the cattle panels. They aren't going to eat that :) Vicki

18. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

hmmm interesting idea Vickie thanks....

I know they often do not need a shelter, but we've had lots of cold rain, sleet, even a bit of snow....