Buck rut

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by whimmididdle, Nov 29, 2007.

1. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Are any of you folk's bucks looking any better by now ? I think that all my doe's are bred now, but my buck is still in bad need apparently. He looks rough, and I now feed him all the alfalfa and hay that he will eat. He's not wormy, but gosh he looks it........I'm ashamed at this point to let anyone view him this way. His bones are not very visable yet, but if I can't get this boy to settle down a bit , they will be shining before much longer.....This is an old very mature ND buck......when can I expect this buck to start picking back up ?

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I grain my bucks that are in rutt or in use to get them back in condition but do it slowly to start as with any change in feed also have AC available to use if needed. BOSS helps really good. My Nubian looks like death warmed over. Yep embarrasing.

3. Chaty

Chaty New Member

1 of mine looks like a little bald old man as he has wore his hair off from the withers to his nose just sticking his head and neck thru the cattle panels to get a sniff...he looks so funny and usually he is a loving boy but not lately...I didnt breed all my girls this year so maybe that is why he is still running...got to build a different pen to where he will get some rest... :bang :welcomeback Sondra We missed ya!!!

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

If it's any consolation most bucks look like death warmed over by now. It just takes all the does not coming back into heat, hopefully bred, and time for him to "cool off" with the testostrone business.
    Make sure he's wormed, feet trimmed, minerals, and keep feeding him a SMALL amount of grain along with his hays. He WILL eventually come back to his *before rut* look.
    Sondra's right with the BOSS, but just a small amount...don't overdo it.
    Kaye

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl Oh Kaye...we all know that most of your bucks are about as big around as a toothpick right now, and are really really cold. One of these days I might just get me one of those mini buck pens to keep mine in.....I think it might be cheaper, and a lot less trouble, and without all the stink.

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Yeah, and I don't have to worry about their physical condition either. ;) Just poke a stick in the tank once a week and check the liquid level. :lol
    Kaye

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

hard to shove in that BOSS tho