buck or no buck, THAT's the question!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Dec 20, 2007.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay. I have three Alpine does, all bred and (since they are only going to have doelings this year!) we plan to keep the doelings. I am thinking about buying an Alpine buck. Our breeder is not so nearby and the cost of breeding, boarding and gas could very well pay for a nice buck to service the girls. I have the room and have read plenty but am still on the fence.

Cons: I don't really know much about what to look for. I usually rely on the breeder to make the buck suggestion. Two of my does are from her herd. Very good bloodlines, good quality. My other doe is a grade.

Don't know any other Alpine breeders in Missouri other than the one we use.

What would you suggest? YES! We'd like to learn to AI and solve the problem completely but I hear the start up is far to costly! :biggrin

2. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Any reason you can't purchase from the breeder? Or will any of her bucks kids then be too closely related to your potential doelings?

MO has 4 pages of breeders in the ADGA book. Do you have an ADGA book?
    Surely this group ought to know of at least one, if not more, Alpine breeders in MO. :D

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I could buy a buckling from our breeder. I'm not sure though as they are all pretty closely related and we chose to breed to the "new" buck this year. But I wanted some input from the group and YES to get a referral from the group would be dandy. I do have the ADGA directory. First I need to decide what to do. I did lease a buck this year and I liked that. Just not sure if I'd be able to lease a buck every year. Looking for feedback...

4. coso

coso Guest

bailiey bunch,
    Dreen, on this board is up around Mtn. Grove has some nice Alpines. PM her. Go to the show in Springfield this spring and look around. I'm trying to think of someone else close off the top of my head. I would get a buck. They are not that difficult to take care of. You just have to have a pen that will hold them.

5. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

There is local 4-Her who has leased my older Nubian last year and this year.
    They prefer not having to deal with buck year round. Especailly since they have three different breeds of does. They drive the Alpine to be bred and bred the Nubian and Nupine to Rudy. They also bred their BoerX doeling to Rudy this year...no breeding memo for that, of course.
    They love how much of a gentleman Rudy is, but they also do not tolerate the smell well at all and simply aren't set up to run a buck.
    It sounds like you have a good set up to run a buck.
    If you had your own buck (or even two so they can keep each other company...lol) then you always have them as a back up and you could still do the outside breeding for more genetics.

We did one year of taking does away to be bred...to three different herds too. Only one of the five settled.
    We bought a buck the next year and when breeding haven't been without at least one buck.

As far as picking a buck...I am the last person to talk to and I can easily admit that.
    Maybe talk it over with your breeder? There is a chance that if you buy an outside buck that she may be interesed in him in the future since they would hopefully mesh well with your doe's lines.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

type in Alpine goats+MO and quite a few come up.

7. coso

coso Guest

8. rrziga

rrziga New Member

I just got a registered Alpine buck from Sibley Mo. I found the listing on craigslist.com. I chose to look on the internet because it seems like the goats in my area are very closely related. I hope that I made a good choice.

9. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks for the information and ideas. I have contacted our breeder and will look into others also. Decisions, decisions. Yep, I thought about getting two, to keep each other company but $$. Will have to work on it.