BRR!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Tracy in Idaho, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

Man, I need a shivering smiley!

DH and I were out doing chores, and we both mentioned that it seemed awfully cold all of a sudden.... Got all the hay put out, water filled, and does milked. Went inside and looked at the thermometer -- 19 degrees already!

It's gonna be a cold night tonight!

Robin and I are supposed to leave for Colorado to get the new buck on Saturday morning -- wish us luck. We're hoping we don't get stuck in a blizzard on the Interstate! :nooo

Tracy

2. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

SHHHHHH!!!!
    *clamps hands tight over ears*

lalalalala...I'm not listening...I'm not listening...

Dad has not fixed the furnace yet.....lol
    He noticed the Thermometer in the living room and made the comment that we needed to leave it there to keep track of how cold it is...lol

We are finally getting some cold weather. There was ice in the water tubs....we simply aren't ready yet...too much work yet to be done.

Good luck with your trip....here's hoping you don't run into a blizzard. Been there...done that...we were riding Greyhound at the time.

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Burrrrr, makes our current 48 degrees sound almost like suntan weather. :biggrin

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Oh, Tracy...I don't wanna' hear you! You always make me shiver when I hear your temps!! Oh, by the way....we've already had some 3 dog nights and all I got is a sliver of a weiner dog...not much heat 'cept on the toes! Can ya' relate??? :biggrin

We've actually been hitting the 30 degree marks here at night! I'm not EVEN ready for cold weather yet. BUT... we have a BIG stack of firewood and have been "cheating" our electric company already. I just love it when I can put that thermostat on 50 degrees and build a fire!! It means that electric bill is dropping like a rock. :D I like wood heat better anyway. It warms me all the way through. aaahhhh....

We finally got the firewood cut,split and stacked weekend before last and I've been waiting for it to get cold enough to build a fire in the circulating wood stove. The central heat has not kicked on in over a week! YEAH!!! Just love those $50-$70 electric bills in the winter.
    Kaye

5. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

You must have really good electrical rates Kaye! We heat only with wood, and our electric bills are $125-150.00.
    Having 4 water heaters (for the goats!) going probably doesn't help. :laughcry But nothing like wood heat to keep you really warm.

Good luck Tracy! The weather man up here is predicting warmer weather Sunday through Friday...up to 37/38 degrees during the day!
    He is also predicting lots of rain....which translates into snow in the passes, so take your chains and one of those aluminum foil blankets for your new buckling (oh, maybe one for you too. :biggrin ) Not looking forward to mushy yucky pens again. (Where is that eye-rolling icon?)

Camille

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Not when I get those $170+ bills in the summer, cause I got the A/C going full blast. The winter bills make me not feel so bad about using the A/C! ;)
    Kaye

7. Truly

Truly New Member

It's currently 15 degrees and falling here in Wyoming. No fireplace here. That's why we have down comforters. BRR

8. Tracy in Idaho

We run pretty much the same year round -- a bit higher in the winter ($90-100) because of the tank heaters. We heat with wood, though we do have an oil furnace as well.

Camille, I WISH it was a buckling -- but it's a 4 yr old grown buck in full stinky rut! We're taking the V10 Ford 4WD -- I thought about chains, but figured if brand new tires and 4x4 couldn't get us there, we shouldn't be driving.

We're sticking to the Interstates, and taking full winter survival gear! Not a bad idea to throw in a blanket for the buck too though -- thanks!

I hope this particular adventure is over soon, lol. With NO surprises!

11 degrees here now, and still dropping. Not a cloud in the sky and that just makes it colder. Pretty neat to go out and walk through the squeaky snow though.

Tracy

9. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Ohhhhh! I hate it. BRRRRrr! Every creature is shivering and miserable. The LDG's teeth were chattering and I took pity on him and he is in the mud room. One of the old does has a snotty nose and camille I REALLY hope the weather forcast is right and we have warmer temps coming (really don't want the mud but I will take it) I hate these single digit nights but I suppose better than -#'s.

I forgot to make a plug for super good cents home. We are toasty and warm with the furnace and our power bill is budgeted thru the year-rates just went up and we are paying $98 a month. Doesn't seem to bad. I do miss the wood heat but not the wood mess and chore!

10. Josie

Josie New Member

wowow. That's just unreal! I hope your trip goes well.

You actually make me really jealous. :) My feeling is if it's going to be winter it should be actually WINTER - cold, snow, ice and cold. we get these crazy temperature flucuations that just drive me nuts.

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hope you have a safe trip they are calling for lots of snow thru CO etc. sorry to say will be 70's here tomarrow HeHe!!

12. Tracy in Idaho

We have a nice balmy flat 0 degrees this morning. Of course, the butcher is coming to do the 2 steers this morning. Poor guy.

Yeah Sondra, we are playing it by ear right now.....we just might not be leaving in the morning after all :(

Tracy

13. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Tracy, you are much colder than we are. We went down to 17 degrees last night.

Mishael you are colder than us too...guess I should count our blessings. We have a funny little micro-climate on our place.
    Generally our growing season is from April 15-Oct. 15 (may have to throw some sheet over a few plants for 2 days in Sept.).

It is fun to hear the snow squeak, plus the chihldren don't soaked as fast!

14. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Cold here .. We are still under a lake effect til 6 pm and then it starts all over again tomorrow.

Patty

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I don't know that I could live in a climate where it gets that cold, but I sure would like to take Josh to see some snow some time. He sees it in the Christmas movies we have been watching and asks, "Mom why isn't there snow here?" I told him our climate is too warm for snow but he doesn't get it yet. He is 6. I really need to take him somewhere sometime to play in the snow and get lots of pictures. Hope you have a safe trip getting your buck. You'll have to post pictures. Who are you getting?

16. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Chris in 1972 we moved to Huntsville, TX to get out of the snow and cold of NE would you believe we got snow enough to stick on the ground for a couple days. You should have seen those college kids in Huntsville. Most people there had never seen snow. I was so mad.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Just wondering if you left on the trip?

18. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

We are having a beautiful day with sunshine and 70 degrees here in Louisiana. Sorry about your miserable weather.

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

We're in the middle of a blizzard here. First one of the year. So far 6 inches with blowing winds and almost zero visibility. Only going to get worse as the snow isn't supposed to let up all night. The amounts will at least double. Perfect time to go grocery shopping - no one in the store! :crazy

Sara

20. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

76 here ugh too warm!

those are some CHEAP bills Kaye!!! Summer here runs above $400!