brownish coloured alfalfa pellets??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Terri-Lynn, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

The pellets I bought last week are much browner than what I had before. So I contacted the feed store and they said that is normal for this time of year. They smell ok but my thoughts were that the "green" colour must be a good thing, so I bought some from a different feed store/ different brand and they are greener. Any thoughts on this?

2. Truly

Truly New Member

I would surely want my alfalfa pellets to be green.

3. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Be sure to check the feed label. Some manufacturers are aware that customers want "green" alfalfa pellets and put green dye in them to mask any discrepancies in hay quality. A food dye isn't going to do anything but make the pellets look nice and green but nothing for the feed quality. And most likely you'll pay for in the pocketbook, too.

-- Wendy

4. Truly

Truly New Member

Good point Wendy.

My label says 100% sun dried shredded alfalfa pelletized.

5. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

Yeah-- I've had the "too green" ones before. They grossed me out.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And the veggy dye does not have to be on the label because it is less than 1% of the product :) A mill near Bryan Texas used to do this, a good friend of mines, children worked there as teens and young adults.

If anyone has seen the millions of stacked bales of alfalfa in California and New Mexico, you know that from the outside of these football field sized hay stacks you can not tell it's green alfalfa, all the outside bales are yellow/brown as it bakes in the dry heat. I have a video of this as my family was driving back to Texas from 'home' San Diego. And most alfalfa pellets loose perecentage points on their sacks this time of year, as does hay in your barn :) Vicki

7. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Our last 300 pounds of Alfalfa pellets is kind of off-color, as well, and unfortunately, (which is what bugs me, ) mostly powder........ ugh... At 17.00 a bag, ya would think it would be high quality.......... this has only happened once before with our feed store and they warned us that time, that it was the bottom of the barrel, and so we only boght a 50 pound bag to hold us over til they got in the new shipment......... No warning, this time, but I am going to tell them about it next time we go......The goats DO lick up the powder, but alot is wasted...........(shrugs)

8. Terri-Lynn

Terri-Lynn New Member

Ok so I can feed the brownish ones, I guess I at least I know they aren't jacking it up with dye. The other brand doesn't list anything but alfalfa and it's not a brilliant green or anything but it does make me go "hmmm" if this is normal for the time of year. Thanks.