Bronchial Exudate?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Aug 27, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

Would this be a fancy term for snot? (Pardon my choice of words) Have any of y'all ever taken a sneeze-product sample and looked at it under a microscope? Found it beneficial?

2. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I had a problem with a doe years and years ago that would not respond to anything my vet tried. He took a swab and took a sample of her nasal discharge. We actually had to do it twice as the first was contaminated, which is a problem with this procedure. He had to send it off. I would not know what I was looking at, anyhow. :biggrin
    Les

3. stoneyheightsfarm

Did the lab find anything in particular? I suppose I'm just excited about using a microscope to look at bodily secretions and find stuff to make my management better! If I'm totally honest, this is also helping to satisfy that part of me that chose family over carreer, since I wanted to be a doctor! ;) (and if I were a doctor, I'd have to work to pay off those student loans rather than get to stay home with these kiddos!) Anyhow, 'tis interesting!

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

White blood cells in the mucous, infection or worms seen they are likely lungworm. But like most things, some diagnosis are better left up to vets (or better yet labs) who when they see something....see horses and not zebras! Most new folks diagnos their herds with the most off the wall things by using symptoms and stupid goat books. Sorry your goat does not have teetzi fly :)

It is fun though. Vicki

5. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I agree. The time we sent it off on my goat it was BRVD. Had to let it run its course as it is a virus. Just supoortive stuff. For several years when my kids were weaned they would get a mild form of it. Haven't seen any signs of it in a while.
    Les

6. stoneyheightsfarm

LOL! I think you've taken a tour of my brain! :) I can't tell you how many times I've been to the doctor with off-the-wall ideas about something I or my family have! A few months ago, I was convinced I needed a hysterectomy for fibroids when all I had was a pinched nerve! Such is life. Teetzi fly! I needed that good laugh. :) That, and Shereen's "seriously poop obsessed monsters" --I think that's what she called us, in her nematode counting slide post! Fun stuff. Fun folks. Glad to be here!