Broken scur help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by BethW, Feb 21, 2008.

1. BethW

BethW New Member

One of my boys broke off a thin scur tonight...only 1/2" across but wow, did it bleed :O

I cleaned the bloody bud with peroxide and put blood stop powder on it, but I won't be surprised if it starts to bleed again as soon as he butts somebody.

Anything else I need to do? Does he need tetanus antitox?

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Nothing else I would do, but the tetanus antitoxin,yes.
    :lol My Saanen buck 3yr.old...broke both his off, now, red blood on a white goat looks like cut his throat. I didn't even put blood stop. It stopped bleeding. He did get a tetanus antitoxin and has since gotten his two tetanus shots.
    Kaye

3. BethW

BethW New Member

Thanks, Kaye. What is the dosage on that?

My notes say 1/2cc for kids and 1cc for adults, but I'm assuming that's for full-size goats. Would the dose be the same for NDs?

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

5. coso

coso Guest

I took 2 scurs off with OB wire the other day on a buck. The scurs were really thin and wide and right against his head but had curled up and were starting to bother me(not the buck). I just sprayed with furall and gave him a tetanus anti-toxin shot.

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I had my 2 yr old buck break off one of his scurs....came home to a blood bath. It is amazing how much they bleed. It healed up fine and grew back again.