Broken pelvis

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by alpineestates, May 7, 2014.

1. alpineestates

alpineestates Member

I had one of my 2 month old bucklings, Sarge, try to get between 2 trees that were a couple of inches apart on Thursday last week. He was wedged in there real good right in front of his back legs when I found him less than two hours later. I got him out without much difficulty and he promptly fell over. After about 30 minutes he started using his left back leg, but would put no weight on his right one. I couldn't feel any broken bones and he only seemed to be hurting when I touched his right hip. It seemed to be in the socket, so I decided he must have sprained something. I talked to a vet and we decided to let it wait a few days. Sarge got his own pen because the other goats kept pushing him around.

Monday he was no better so I decided to take him to a vet just to make sure it wasn't out of socket, or in need of splinting. The vet didn't think it had nerve paralysis because he was holding it back and not letting it drag. We decided to X-Ray his pelvis which revealed that it was in the socket, but he had a small crack in his pelvis at the right hip joint. She recommended that I put him in a very small pen or stall until he was better. He has about 4x6 feet in his pen which allows him a place to relieve himself and eat, drink, and sleep. My vet thought he should make a full recovery although he could develop arthritis.

I am quite new to goats and couldn't find information on broken goat pelvises anywhere. Has anybody here had experience with this? I was hoping to raise Sarge as a herd sire as he has good bloodlines and is a very good looking buck. He is also unrelated to my two does. However, he isn't registered and I could wether him an raise him to clear my brush or butcher.

Thanks for your time! I will appreciate any recommendations you have.

Alpines: 2 does, 1 buck, and 1 wether. Grifton, NC Davon

2. HappyCaliGoats

HappyCaliGoats Junior Member

I have not had experience with goats with a broken pelvis but I have seen atleast 2 dogs recover well from severely broken pelvis, miltiple fractures. As broken bones are not genetic, he may still do well as herd sire but if he develops arthritis and has a constant limp that may be something that deters potential buyers that may wonder why you sire is gimpy. Depending where the break is and how severe it is would help to know if it will heal well enough for him to breed.
    From what you are describing it sounds like a very minor fracture (although it is hard to say without seeing the X-ray) that could very well completely heal and allow him to live a full normal life.

Hope this helps your decision!

3. sydneyjd

sydneyjd Banned

Probably do what the vet says. :) I have a goat a the moment who is having a similar problem.She is limping and keeping her foot off the ground,and Iam not sure what is wrong with her.:(

4. alpineestates

alpineestates Member

Progress note

Sarge has been eating and growing well. He is starting to put a little weight on the front of his leg just above his foot. When he gets out of his pen he wants to jump and cavort around, but I don't let him to help speed healing. Hopefully it will be completely healed in a couple weeks. I think he misses being with the herd.

5. Ashley

Ashley Active Member