Broken leg?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

How do you tell? Our main buck has been limping/favoring one of his front legs for the past few days. Also staying down more than usual. Nothing 'visually' wrong. No other problems detected. It doesn't seem to be improving or getting worse. If it's broken and we need a vet to determine that we're willing as he is our main guy and breeding season is just around the corner. :/

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If you've got banamine...use it. If it's just sprained, swollen from something other than a break..it will help relieve it.
    Broken...you will see an odd angle in the leg from the elbow to the hoof. If it's the shoulder or clavical then you can put your hand on the shoulder and lift the leg out sideways and the shoulder will TELL you where it's broken. Best thing for that...short of vet and pinning with screws and plates, is total confinement in a very small pen for several weeks. Banamine for the pain once a day and to help with healing.
    Kaye

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Have you checked his hooves? Could be foot rot, hooves trimmed too short, not trimmed enough, or something between his toes...like a thorn or splinter or a cut somewhere on the hoof.

4. nitrors4

nitrors4 Guest

One of my new goats was limping so I put him up in the stand and sure enough he needed a trim. Trimmed him up and he was walking as good as new the following day.

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay....got more info from dd (my goat manager LOL ). She did note some heat and swelling when first noticed. That has since subsided. It is just above his foot. He will kneel down to eat. It is not noticeable bowed or mishapen. She has started him on Banamine and she is considering trying to splint it using a PVC pipe cut in half. Thoughts?

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I am not a huge fan of splinting things you don't know what they are. He is doing a good job of limping and kneeling down to keep his weight off the strain or sprain, the swelling also is it's own warp. Most wrap to tight or don't give enough support in the right area.

Like Kaye I would confine him unless he is crazy :) banamine and watch him. Go out and really look at the hoof, clean it well and soak it in peroxide, if you see bubbles probe the area for something stuck in the foot or an abscess at the coronary band. Vicki

7. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Okay, thanks.

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

A splint on something not broken, this time of year is asking for trouble with the heat! Besides if it's in the fetlock or pastern...unless it's completely broken in the joint....a splint won't stay put and won't help a bit. The bones will heal on their own.

Giggling...besides, if it's a front foot...he'll still breed! No weight is put on these feet when mounting. That's the bright side.
    Kaye