Bringing home a yearling doe. Need suggestions.

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 19, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Born April of 2007. She has not been given shots, feet were horrible until I trimmed them today. Not been handled much at all so was a bit wild to hold. She did calm down a bit when she figured out she could not have her way.

Despite all of those unpleasant things... she is the full sister/twin to mine and I have been wanting her ever since I saw her at a few weeks old. Told the people if they ever sell her to give me a call. Well, I got the call. I am rather excited because she is a very beautiful doe, but.....

How long should I keep her separated? She looks healthy the few times I have seen her this past week. What shots should I give her now? What else needs to be done? Thanks for your help in advance.

:help

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

For as long as it takes to worm her 10 days apart, 3 times, to revaccinate her twice 21 days apart, to get her feet in good shape, to bolus her if you do, and to get her CAE tests back. All this time in quaranteen also gives CL time to rear it's ugly head with a new abscess from the stress of the move. And lets you change her food and minerals and hay SLOWLY to a better diet, without anyone else eating her food. Vicki

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you VERY much! So about a month or a little more for quarantine. That sounds reasonable.

Worm 3x 10 days apart
    CD&T 2x 21 days apart
    CAE test (Probably not more than 2 weeks)
    Check for abcesses and other signs of disease.
    Change food slowly.

What if her food is changed drastically. Like from grain (self-mix) to 16% sheep/goat
    And grass pasture to grass hay and alfalfa pellets?

What do I need to look for........ bloat? Scours? ....etc.

The quarantine area is a dry lot. She is used to grass pasture. I'll have to ask about the grain.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If I can't get some of their old grain when I move a doe, even in milk they go down to very little grain here. Since I feed grain and not byproducts even a doe used to a high protein lactation pellet may never have really eated real oats before. Start the alfalfa pellets even slower, and lots of hay, best is a bale of hay of what she is used to.

Just make the changes slowly, although the first day they are here, I trim feet, shave, worm, treat for lice mites and nose bots with injected ivermectin and give them their first series of vaccines and bolus them. Then they get about 10 days off until round two starts. Vicki

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Re: Bringing home a yearling doe. Need suggestions. (Pics added)

Vicki, I feel much more confident and knowlegeable about what to do now. Thank you so much! I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future. By the way, she is a dry yearling. Never been bred. Should I grain her at all? Here is a very bad pic of her, but you get the idea of how she looks. Not skinny for sure. Of course she is a bit hairy though. I can't wait to see what she looks like under all that. :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]