breeds for my area

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Jul 27, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

i am very new to goats, and here. i have 3 breeds, 12 goats total. these first girls are my trial-goats, to see if i really liked this, and yup, i do. we get very cold winters and some very hot summers. i notice my ober doe is having more issues with heat than any others. seems the nub's are getting along the best in any weather. my hubby would like to try an alpine sometime, but i am not sure. the ober is breathing hard, not quite panting, and its not even hit 100 yet, which it will. i worry about her.

is there a breed that is better for my area/weather?

2. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

Hi Chris, welcome :lol

I'm in Texas so I'm not the right one to answer your question, someone will come along soon and help.

3. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I'm not far from you being in Minnesota. Nubians and LaManchas thrive here. :)

Sara

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome to the forum! In about 5 months you will be telling us how your Nubians are freezing in your cold! :) I shave my goats so they are cooler in our hot weather. Vicki

5. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

I am in NW North Dakota and have Nubians and Mini Nubians--everyone does just fine. In the past, I have have various breeds and cross breeds--everyone did fine. Carolyn

6. chewie

chewie New Member

the old nubian i had this winter didn't seem fazed at all, no matter the weather. i will get out the clippers and see if katie the ober does better. thanks.
    -cm

7. I have Nubians and Pygmys. My nubians are clipped because of showing. It gets in the 80-90s here. I give the girls fresh water a few times through out the day and they are fine. The pygmys are to. They breath harder then usual when its hot and humid but they are all fine. :)

8. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

My Alpines can take -50 F with no problems at all. They do just as well in the heat during the summer.

Tracy

9. chewie

chewie New Member

DH has been hinting at trying an alpine. so far, seems like nubs and alpines would be the best for us, and are a tad more known in our area, if i ever tried to sell or buy. thank you for the imput.

10. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

We live in the far corner of NW Iowa so just a hop, skip and jump from SD and our Toggs do well here. They live in our pasture all winter with some sheds for shelter of course. Our does do not handle the heat well either but when they are home can always find a comfortable spot with a breeze and shade - it is when we go to shows that we have to make sure that the fans are on. Would love to have you come to the Sioux Empire fair for the goat show in Sioux Falls on Aug 9and 10th and you will see that ALL the breeds are good for this area as they are well represented. (entries aren't even due until Aug 1st so you can still enter!)
    Mary

11. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Our climate is a little milder than yours, but my Alpines and Saanens also seem to do fine with heat/cold extremes. It depends a bit more on the actual goat...I have one Saanen that doesn't take heat well, and others that are fine. I've never had one have trouble in the cold though. As long as they are out of the wind and have a dry place to lay, they do great.

12. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Here in Montana, it seems all breeds do well. Some individual goats may seem less comfortable in extreme heat or cold, but it doesn't seem breed specific. Kathie

13. chewie

chewie New Member

ok, maybe this one little ober is just a cold-weather girl! the others all seem to be much better than she is, she is always huffing much mroe than the others. i'm shaving her tonight.