Breeds and taste of milk difference / similarities?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by shawhee, Jul 12, 2008.

1. shawhee

shawhee Member

Let me preface this - Mods - if this is the incorrect forum please feel free to move.

Ok, obviously I am new to goats. I have a friend that raises Nubs and he has a few alpines in the herd. I have drank his milk and I LOVE it. I have recently purchased two Alps and two LM's (with friends help) - they are all dry. I can use stud service of his Nub buck. But I have a question for you on the taste difference according to breed. I have been told "taste the milk" and you will decide what you like, as each breed can taste a little different. Have you found that to me true? Here is my thinking - should I breed to his Nubian or should I look for a LM or Alp buck? * As we may be moving soon and I might miss breeding season here in Texas. Can any of you that have different breeds tell a difference, please describe if you can the differences, as that may help me make a determination?

Thank you,
    Shawna

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I've had milk from Nubians and Alpines...I could tell no difference. I think it depends somewhat on the diet and individual goat though. I've never had a goat with bad-tasting milk. I don't even honestly remember that the Nubian's milk tasted creamier than the Alpines. Personally, I don't think there's a whole lot of difference.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I also don't think there is much difference. Maybe on your tongue you can feel the higher butterfat of boer or ND. At my farm when it's about amounts of milk, I don't feed for butterfat so I don't think my girls have as much fat as they would elsewhere. I know Tracy's Alpines and her Saanen doe have butterfats as high as alot of tested Nubians.

Taste is mostly about what the animal is fed, it's overall health and hugly how you milk the doe and handle the milk.

Now, I do know that Toggs can have stronger tasting milk, they were bred that way for cheese. I know our Togg/LaManchas in the dairy had stronger tasting milk and really I think their milk made better cheese. With their milk pooled with all the other milk nobody could tell the difference.

I know they were talking about this on Nubian Talk, and I agree with the older breeders on there, it would be cool to have a taste test, especially if the animals were from the same farm. I would doubt anyone could do much more than guess. Vicki

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

Thank you both. I plan on milking each of the pair into separate buckets just to see if there is a difference between Alpine or LaMancha. I have heard that about the Toggs but wondered about the others as well. I appreciate your help and time. My other thought is do I want to mix them, or should I try to keep them bred same breed ? Just wondering out loud.

Shawna

5. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I have a Alpine that has vary little cream in her milk I make cheese with her milk and family and friends love it they say that it taste low fat and I think it is.
    I do not like drinking her milk I like a creamery milk.
    I now have a few Nubian's kids from Vicki and Karen so next year I well get to compare the milks.
    I do think it is a goat to goat thing.
    Fran

6. Leo

Leo New Member

:yeahthat
    I just milk Nubians, and can definitely taste a different mouthfeel with those that have more cream, but I'd think that the flavor is more adversely affected by diet/milking cleanliness than breed. I only had one doe(Nubian) that milk I would consider 'strong' but hers was just not as sweet as the others, not goaty or anything like that, just not as sweet.
    Megan

7. feistygoatwoman

feistygoatwoman New Member

I have only have had alpine milk, but I love it!! I might be getting a nubian/togg doe tomorrow, so I will let you know if her milk tastes any different. I didn't realize that different breeds milk had a different taste. Learning lots!!!!

Amber

8. coso

coso Guest

I'm milking four Lamanchas right now, and if I have a choice there is one that I always save house milk from. Her milk is just sweeter then the other three. Nothing wrong with the others milk just not as sweet. Probably just more butterfat as I've noticed hers really coats the pitcher with cream when you pour. :lol When I had Toggs there milk was not as sweet as the Lamanchas I had. It was good just not as sweet. The Togss outmilked my Lamanchas though.

9. hamilton40

hamilton40 New Member

I am parcial to Nubians, I have had La Manchas and I have had Nigerian Dwarfs. They have all received basicaly the same diet and I have always thought the Nubians milk tastea little sweater and a little richer.
    Clay

10. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

What Vicki said is really the key. There may be a slight difference in individual does and with Toggs but not by breed.

Christy

11. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I've milked Nubi's , Alpines , and ND's, at the same time.......fed the same thing, milk handled the same way...I really can't tell much difference in the "taste". The ND's late in lactation will leave butter on your tongue, and a cold glass of that will leave you filling very full......I think it's the kind of milk that goes straight to your butt. :rofl

Whim

12. shawhee

shawhee Member

Whim that is too funny!! Thank you all for the responses I really appreciate it. Out the door to get my new boy........ Whispering to self - only one goat, I'm only getting one goat...... I am .... I will not bring more than one goat home...... LOL

Shawna

13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I have only one toggenburg milking, and it does taste different than the nubian milk. I like it though, it has a little more flavor, not goat taste, just a milk taste.

14. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I have to agree that its *mostly* individual does, but I think breed has a bit to do with it too. When I was milking Alpines, Saanens, Lamanchas and Nubians, my family gulped it down whenever I would bring the Lamancha or Nubian milk to the house. If it was the Alpine or Saanen, they were slower to drink it. It wasn't bad milk, just more like skim milk and they did not prefer the flavour. And no, they did not know which does I was milking at which times. ;)
    These does were all on the exact same diet.