breeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by chewie, Nov 24, 2008.

1. chewie

chewie New Member

how many times does your buck mount the doe he's presented with? my guy will just jump at her right away a couple times, then spends a huge amt of time blubbering and carrying on, all the while this latest doe is standing there, giving the OK as much as possible! (i had hoped she was bred already, dang!) she couldn't be any more 'available' for him, but yet he spends all this time doing all the motions except breeding! or is he 'done' with her after mounting her a couple times?

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Hello... give him some time to recover! :rofl

Joking aside, I let my bucks breed the does a couple times.

Sara

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

:yeahthat

LOL! Think of them as a teenage boy for the first couple of jumps. Then after that, they turn into 45 yr old men ;) :lol They need some recovery time!

But like Sara, I only let mine mount 2 or if I am feeling really generous - 3 times.

4. chewie

chewie New Member

i was just curious why he is only up for a couple times, or if that's the norm. ok, i'll leave him be.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:really Hhhhmmmm.....never thought of "it" in quite those terms Sara & Tracy. But, you're right.

Yep, twice here also...once to clean out the plumbing and the 2nd to get the job done. Then the doe's taken out of his pen! Unless I'm breeding 2 or more does at a time. 1 jump per doe.

:rofl Try having two young bucks side by side! Doe in one pen, buck gets the job done, then wants to brag and fight the other buck through the fence. Couple of times of that nonsense and taking the doe away from them...now, it's down to business and when the does gone? they brag and squabble through the fence. Hilarious!
    Kaye

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

This makes me think that the buck isn't breeding. Is he actually mating the doe or just making a couple of jumps and failing to actually breed?

Look on her vagina after "the jump" is there sperm or fluid coming out?

7. chewie

chewie New Member

see, i kinda think he's missing the mark. i do think he's bred a couple, at least one, but this last breeding he seemed to 'miss'. i will watch harder for fluids, honestly i'm not sure what i seen. here i thought i wouldn't have to own a buck--hahaha, no way would i want to go thru a breeding season without a buck on the property!! i thought it'd be so easy to get them bred. ugh.

thanks for your imput