breeding?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Vicki this is a fascinating and informative thread for me. How do you breed in the spring? Unless you are breeding an equatorial goat, I understood that alpines (IE Saanan, Alpine, Nubian, La Mancha, Toggs etc) would only breed in the fall.

Please excuse my ignorance

thanks

2. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

I just asked the very same question of a lady who has a doe due to kid in November. I haven't received a response, but wonder if it's the Nubians' African side of its heritage? Artificial light in the barn?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Daniel with your MM you may have year around breeders because of the ND aspect.
    but there are other things that can be done with lights, w/ hormones etc so you can breed outside the norm with your swiss breeds.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

There are drugs you can now use, hormones, CIDR's etc...but there is this weird buck effect thing also.

Young virgin does put in the pen with a rowdy young buck will cycle just with putting the buck in the pen early spring.

Also does who have kidded in the fall and late winter will recycle in 8 weeks naturally.

Lights work well also but you have to have a buck in rut so you pretty much have to opt for boer or Nubian sires breeding your does. Vicki

5. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Thanks for the info! With the MM's will the does cycle year round and the bucks stay in the rut year round? This will be helpfull as I am anxious to have my girls bred but do not want to breed them too early. Thanks again!