Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been covered, and re-covered :sigh, but I forgot. :blush Anyway, I know that a doeling should be bred at a certain percentage of her mothers weight, that usually works out to around 80 pounds. What is that percentage?

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh. ...So I should go by the roughly 80 pound rule? I have a 75 lb (weigh tape) Ober/Alpine doeling that I was hoping to breed end of Dec. She seems kind of short, but has a good stocky build and is quite muscular. She is 7.5 months old. The only thing I have to compare her to is a 160 lb, tall Nubian doe. My little one looks like a shrimp next to that girl!

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the info. The teat thing is different. For lots of various reason, I want to kid in May/June. That would make my doeling 2 yrs old if I wait. Is that ok?
On a slightly different note, I know that you should milk for as long as possible to keep does milking with long lactations throughout their lives. Is that just about drying off before breeding? If you have a doe freshen and say four months later wanted to breed her again, does that affect her lactation throughout her life? It also seems to be a bit of heavy breeding there.

I hope that makes a little sense. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.