Breeding Weight for Mini-Mancha's

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Daniel Babcock, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

I just finished reading through the article "Goat Keeping from Birth to Milking in Standard dairy breeds" in goat Keeping 101 by Vicki.

In this article, Vicki suggests that a standard dairy goat can be bred at 8 months and 90 pounds. I acknowledge it is best to determine readiness to be bred on a goat by goat basis, however, what would be a good rule of thumb for Miniature LaMancha's?

I have a six month old doe (1st gen 75% Lamancha) that is 66 lbs, a five month doe (1st gen 75% Lamancha) that is 51 pounds and a 6.5 month doe that is 54 pounds (2 gen 50% Lamancha).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

*edited by BlissBerry - title spelling

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well once again I will say I don't go by weight on Mini-Manchas I just don't breed them before they are 1 yr old so usually that makes them 18 mo before being bred

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I have 4 doelings, 2 are nice-sized and 2 are smallish. I plan on holding all four over and just breed my two older does.

I was impressed though with how easily these 2 does kidded as FF. Their babies just plopped out. They were held over also. (Chelsey and Speckles aka Splash and Ice).