Breeding to "outside" does

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by NWgoats, Sep 16, 2008.

1. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

I did a search, but was not sure what exactly to search for. :??? So, my question is: What kinds of things can the buck catch from an "outside" doe?
    Aside from the obvious STD's, and general infections. Are there serious illnesses
    he could catch? I have read everything I can find on CAE and CL, but it appears
    that these are not transmitted by breeding. Am I wrong on this?
    I have been if I would breed my (ND) buck to some first time does by an acquaintance. (My vet also asked if she could breed her doe to him as well.) What
    chances am I taking with my buck by doing so?

2. Odeon

Odeon New Member

YES! CL CAN be transferred by breeding! Ok, not necessarily the ACT of breeding but ANY contact with a contaminated goat is cause for transmission! The buck (or doe) could have internal abscesses (lungs) that have burst, the animal coughs and spreads it to anyone around. Then there are the non deadly, but every bit as obnoxious, Pinkeye, ringworm, variety of fungus', etc....

Ken in Idaho

3. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

So, I am going to take that as a "NO, you shouldn't do it" kind of answer. Thanks for the input. I have been very hesitant when asked for those very reasons. I spent a lot of time and effort to find my goats and get them from "clean" herds and I don't want to bring anything in. Thanks for the response.

4. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Any time you expose your animal to another herd there is a chance of catchng a disease. Your chances are less though if they bring their doe to your buck in heat. Then you can put your buck on a lease and take him a way from your herd (say to the back yard etc) let him breed a couple of times and collect $50 or whatever your price is. The exposure is minimal but you should always do a visual check for ringworm, pinkeye and CL lumps and other signs of unthriftiness.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't hesitate to help my vet out but would be hesitate to breed to those I don't know at all or their practices

6. NWgoats

NWgoats New Member

Her does won't be ready till Nov/Dec. She has invited me over to check out her new facility and goats. I thought that I might do so, that way I can make a better informed decision. I have seen her goats, but not since she got her new set up. At that time, they looked very healthy and she has not had any health problems that I am aware of. I was planning on having a separate "outside breeding only" area. Would my buck need some quarantine time afterwards?